1302 WBX turbo powered bug

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
fastbus

1302 WBX turbo powered bug

Post by fastbus »

Hi guys,

I have been building over the last 10 years this 1971 1302s with a 2.1 wbx turbo.

Spec is a 2.1 WBX re-worked cylinder heads, knife edged and balanced wbx crank, cb race rods, type 1 cam follower conversion with tcs-20 cam, 8 injector EFI with Wolf ECU engine management and all fed with a big HX35 Holset turbo and with a converted smaller exhaust housing for quicker spooling and charge cooled.

Day Molding front wings, 50mm wider rear wings,
Avo front coil overs, Porsche 944 brakes and rear arms, built irs box, Porsche 17ins Boxter S wheels
Chrome moly cage.

Got some dyno time in last week and it made 197 bhp at 9 psi of boost at 50c temp.
Looking forward to adding more boost now :D
The Newf

Re: 1302 WBX turbo powered bug

Post by The Newf »

Nice workmanship...enjoy your ride safely.
riseabove

Post by riseabove »

ah NIIIIICE !

i just read through all of your buildthread on Vzi i think it was ?

Im building my 2.1 dj powered 1303 right now also. Its drivable with alot of chassimods , rough like a rallycross beater , needs LOTS more mapping as i went megasquirt on mine . steep learningcurve for a complete newbie on this topic.

In the process of collecting good parts for going turbo , going smaller size turbo than you are running though . a genuine td04hl-16t , 650cc injectors and some means of intercooling , probably from a saab or something ..... looking for 200 wheel horsepower with some safety margins left in it.

i love your build and it would be awsome to get more info on the build :D
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

More pics please! Cage tie ins, back seat, etc.
fastbus

Post by fastbus »

riseabove

Post by riseabove »

i love the no nonsense look !

air to water intercooler seems to be a good choice . i will look into that also!
fastbus

Post by fastbus »

These pics are from earlier on in the build. Still yet to run the charge cooling flow and return lines, but i have water and a pump up and running.
Work still in progress :wink:
fastbus

Post by fastbus »

riseabove wrote:ah NIIIIICE !

Im building my 2.1 dj powered 1303 right now also. Its drivable with alot of chassimods , rough like a rallycross beater , needs LOTS more mapping as i went megasquirt on mine . steep learningcurve for a complete newbie on this topic.

In the process of collecting good parts for going turbo , going smaller size turbo than you are running though . a genuine td04hl-16t , 650cc injectors and some means of intercooling , probably from a saab or something ..... looking for 200 wheel horsepower with some safety margins left in it.

Run a dry sump set up as the wbx doesn't run a lot of oil and they suffer from oil surge on hard cornering {something i experienced at a cost!} Any questions feel free to ask as i may be able to help advise you. :wink:
riseabove

Post by riseabove »

fastbus wrote:
riseabove wrote:ah NIIIIICE !

Run a dry sump set up as the wbx doesn't run a lot of oil and they suffer from oil surge on hard cornering {something i experienced at a cost!} Any questions feel free to ask as i may be able to help advise you. :wink:
ah. i would love to get some solid advice. are you a facebook user or do you prefer pm´s on forums or straigh question and answers here ?

i have LOTS of questions and love getting advice from people that has walked the path im about to take before me :D

drysump is something i have been looking into before. cb has a cheap pump that looks interesting (im on a tight budget. 1 wife, 4 kids , 6 american staffordshires makes money dissapear CRAZY fast )
fastbus

Post by fastbus »

I will be happy to help with any qusetion dude
:)
riseabove

Post by riseabove »

ah. any tips on where to begin with the drysump setup. is the cheap cb pump the way to go on a budget ?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

nice looking bug. i love seeing more and more people turboing these things and putting them into beetles. mine is a 75 super beetle, lots of suspension work, better braking, and built irs trans as well. mine is a 2.1 wbx with a small turbo, and im running microsquirt efi (megasquirts mini small ecu) and ive ran 10lbs so far but hoping for more. heres a few pics of mine...

fastbus

Post by fastbus »

Looks good dude!
What pistons are you using?
Have you done any port work on the heads?
:)
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

piston are all stock as as well as the heads as well. ill be working on building another WBX 2.1 for more power over this summer.
riseabove

Post by riseabove »

At least the pistons of the dj code engine are forged according to my friend who uses them in HIGH boost type 4 applications all the time. Really really knock and ping resistant design.

In going to use stock pistons but uprated rods and bolts.