Stubborn stud bolts, how to remove?

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
subwoofer

Re: Stubborn stud bolts, how to remove?

Post by subwoofer »

I have been heating the case, hasn't helped yet but it may one day do...

One thing I haven't tried yet is to take a spare (capped) nut and bottoming it out, then give the bolt a good smack upside the head with a good size hammer. I think rust is the issue, brown particles keep coming out of the hole as I blow chemicals down into it.
Joachim
- Fia, '14 Fiesta Titanium
- Frk Jensen, '74 Jensen-Healey
- Kengu, '90 Caravelle C Syncro

Diesel is good for cleaning parts...
fastback

Post by fastback »

that trick does it with heat
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

subwoofer wrote:I have been heating the case, hasn't helped yet but it may one day do...

One thing I haven't tried yet is to take a spare (capped) nut and bottoming it out, then give the bolt a good smack upside the head with a good size hammer. I think rust is the issue, brown particles keep coming out of the hole as I blow chemicals down into it.
This process one of those things you have to be careful with. With the rust particles coming out already I would surmise that the stud will not be used again. Keep blowing the particles out with air pressure (assuming you have a compressor) as they can reseat themselves and get in the way.

You also could double nut the top and leave a bit of stud below the top nut and bang away/drive the stud down doing that. If I understood correctly you were going to smack it along side of the head; I don't think that will do much good (I could be wrong here too) as the stud is going to flex and getting down inside the case into the threads may not get much of the shock because of the flex potential). You will still be putting a load on the threads but your not so worried about the thread on the stud as the threads in the case so again, be careful and work up to deadly force with the 3#der you might end up using.

Many years ago I saw some film (remember this was years ago so I am pretty sure it was film or maybe early video) of a stud extracter of some type being used. It would alternately turn both directions to loosen/break the stud loose. I think it had some kind of sensor to make it work in both directions as when the fastener broke loose it went in the proper direction until it got hung up again then the back and forth motion went back to work.

Lee
subwoofer

Post by subwoofer »

Got it out! I managed to bend it in the process, but I have two more blocks to pick parts from.

I gave it a few heavy blows on the end of the bolt (along the bolt if that was unclear), and suddenly it let go. The cam bearing studs came out without further ado.

It's now ready for the ultrasonic cleaner.
Joachim

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:D Yeah!!!
dunegoon

Post by dunegoon »

Put two nuts on the end of the stud and lock them together (double-nut). Be sure the end of the stud does not protrude above the outer nut. Whack it with a hammer and then proceed to back the stud out. Sorry, I don't have a measurement as to how hard a "whack" is, but it's not a timid hit. Perhaps an air hammer (zip gun) would work even better.
subwoofer

Post by subwoofer »

It was out weeks ago... But I did just about that, heat - whack - impact wrench.
Joachim