Bob Hoover HVX mods on wbx?

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
flyguyeddy

Re: Bob Hoover HVX mods on wbx?

Post by flyguyeddy »

How would a person shim the hydro lifters for solid operation?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

With a machined plug to replace the guts, aluminum should work if you can keep the steel cup for the pushrod.
Non-trivial unless you have a handy machine shop.
I'd suggest another set of lifters, and sell the ones you have if still new.

T1 lifters with a groove around the inserts (ID or OD) would work at least as well.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

AMBROSIA wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:12 am
Why only one oiling groove?
Will this not restrict the flow similarly to a non modified type 1 lifter?
All the tool steel light weight lifters I have seen are the same design.
The groove is larger than one of the single stock ones but certainly much smaller than a hydro lifter.
I'm thinking it would be easier to modify the bushes by perhaps adding a chamfer to the oiling holes?

I'm still unable to move forward as the lifter/bush combinations I tried so far are all out of spec.
One view is that there is insufficient 'crush' from the existing bores due to wear.
Have them knurled and press them in smothered with green (bushings) locktite.
They won't go anywhere. The knurling increases the effective OD.

You could easily cut oil passage grooves around the bushing ID or OD, taking the lifter out of the feed path.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

In the end I went with Porsche 912 bushes drilled and honed to match my lifters.
I really like the nice oil groove feature on the od that gives 100% oil flow unlike the normal T1 setup.
Additionally, I enlarged the existing oil holes to match the 7mm gallery bore.
flyguyeddy

Post by flyguyeddy »

i recently drilled my case for these mods, and it seemed very easy. did the long drillbit hole first then drilled down to meet it. no breakout on the case, thankfully, though i do not know how thin the material is there
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

its always a risk with that, i did mine (t1) and angled the drill be as much as i could (very little) and only drilled the minimum needed.... defiantly the firs thing to do on a case before spending lots of money on it though ;)

glad yours went well!
flyguyeddy

Post by flyguyeddy »

Im now wondering if i should spend the money and have that impression welded some, just for safety’s sake.
dcd

Post by dcd »

I also had a problem in drilling oil gall on 1 and 2 cylinder side drilling with 6mm after that in other engine build I thought i can start to drill with 6mm for like 1cm after that i can continue drill with 4.5mm in this method I get oil flow and be away from damaging my engine block . By the way you can fix your case if you get damage it I've done it I will give inst. in my next chat.
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

I’ve done the HVX mods to my WBX using hydro lifters. This was in a fresh rebuild and I’ve had oil consumption issues. I use about 1 liter every 700 to 1000km. I get deposits on my spark plugs that look like it’s oil getting by the valves. Has anyone else had oil consumption with the extra oil getting to the valve train? Thanks
Pascal
84 Westy