T1 Con rod info with Wasser pistons

Here's the place for info on converting to a Type V motor!
jackstraw

T1 Con rod info with Wasser pistons

Post by jackstraw »

Greetings. The pistons are floaters. The T1 has 22mm pins and the Wasser has 24mm pins. If I wanted to run a T1 rod it stands that the small end needs opened up for the larger pin.

Will I loose strength if this is done? I'm looking at a 5.5" rod to mimic what Vanistan used to use
I think this a rod that will work. Scat ICR5500-8740 VW JOURNAL 2.165"/55mm 5.500"/139.00mm
AMBROSIA

Re: T1 Con rod info with Wasser pistons

Post by AMBROSIA »

I had a set of scat I beams machined to wbx size.

Yet to run them so I can't comment on strength, but I won't be pushing the rpm's as it's in a street application.
jackstraw

Post by jackstraw »

I grabbed these pic's from the samba. Wasser vs T1. Wasser small end definitely has more meat. Looks like two oil holes for pin.
T1 rod A bit smaller on the small end. Your pic looks like you only had to hone out some of the bushing . Seems doable then.
7431572.jpg
6524248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc

Post by Marc »

For a given stroke (and of course, piston weight), longer rods will cause less stress on the wristpin and small end of the rod since the piston will approach & depart TDC at a slower rate. I'd be more leery of hogging out the rod if it were shorter than stock.

If you've ever wondered what the rod angle @90°is for a particular rodlength-to-stroke ratio, there's a formula at the bottom of this page: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/rod-tech-c.htm
jackstraw

Post by jackstraw »

Thanks for the reply. I've always been partial to a longer rod to take advantage of a wee bit extra top and bottom dwell.

Scat wants $75 per rod to hone out for 24mm pins. Seems steep. Maybe they wrote me a typo .
I'll check the local machine shops.
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

I had Scat hone a set of T-1 rods to wbx size years ago. They lasted 7,000 miles be fore the bushing broke up and started to make noise. I upened the small ends of the Scat rods for thicker bushings engine now has 44,00 miles going strong. I would not use honed Scat rods again.
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

To use the stock Scat rods I have had made CNC bushing for the pistons. Press them in the pistons seat them, hone to T-1 pins, I had to machine the ends of the pins to the WBX lenght, I have 2 test engines with those bushings, both engines are doing fine. I have the bushings in stock.
jackstraw

Post by jackstraw »

* self edit , sorry *
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Have you seen the pistons Marco Mansi has had produced? They are for a wbx but have been manufactured for use with 22mm wrist pins, meaning you can use T1 rods without issue.
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

Marco's been working on his Turbo bolt on FI system, but i've not seen anything about pistons.
I would guess they are made by Wiseco?
jackstraw

Post by jackstraw »

Thanks for the replies. I'll search around for Mansi. I believe that RJE does some tweaks also.
Googling Marco brought up older links.
AMBROSIA

Post by AMBROSIA »

I'll let him know about this thread.
jackstraw

Post by jackstraw »

Looked at CB Perf today. They have their 1235 Unitech rods at <$100. I noticed the small end has three holes which at least matches the stock Wasser
pocketrocket

Post by pocketrocket »

Long time ago I had scat do the same for me. Bushings worn out in less than 3,000 miles. To thin to work. Do the math.