Page 7 of 7

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 am
by grelland
Ian Godfrey wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 pm
thanks for this, I see they have IDA pattern as well :-)
Yes, makes intake manifold choices easy :)

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 am
by grelland
Time for some updates :)

I got the engine finally assembled and have taken a few test drives the last couple of days. No fires so far :)

I have struggled a bit with the tuning, as the engine characteristics have changed quite a lot, so my fuel MAP was way off. I was running in so-called ITB-mode which combines TPS and MAP signals as load in the VE table, and this was no longer very representative for the current engine.

I saw that I have a lot more noise on the MAP signal than before also, so decided to use so-called alpha-N mode which only uses TPS signal as load, and within a few minutes with the auto-tune, it ran decently.

Some fiddeling with the idle, as I had WAY too much fuel at idle, so once I started leaning it out, the rpms went up to about 2500. The cable based throttle system is super-easy to adjust :)

So now it runs "ok"; it needs a few more miles with auto-tune and then some smoothing of the maps, but so far I am very pleased.

pressure and temps also seems ok :)

I still have some problems to get it started though. Worse when hot, so I think I will replace the starter motor first, and see if that helps. It is probably 40-50 years old... I already replaced the battery.

I can soon plan a dyno session, and it will be interesting to see how that goes. It certainly feels a lot quicker than last year already.

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:22 am
by grelland
Replaced the starter yesterday, and that was indeed the problem :) Now I can take it for longer test drives without my son following me in another car ;)

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 am
by grelland
No major incidents lately, and the tuning is making the engine respond better :)

I even took the Ghia to work today, so confidence is getting higher.
jobb juni.jpg
I still have some synchronizing issues right off idle, but it is getting better, and I must say the engine runs WAY better than last year. Cant wait to get on the dyno to see some numbers.

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am
by andy198712
great!!

i had the same deal with ALPHA-N, speed density was "ok" but TPS tune was better for ITB's in my limited experiance on GSXR bodies. they don't give a good map signal and its jumpy too.
i'm actually going back to single TB behind the 911 shroud with a small plenum.... sound familiar? ;)

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 am
by grelland
andy198712 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am
great!!

i had the same deal with ALPHA-N, speed density was "ok" but TPS tune was better for ITB's in my limited experiance on GSXR bodies. they don't give a good map signal and its jumpy too.
i'm actually going back to single TB behind the 911 shroud with a small plenum.... sound familiar? ;)
Hehe sounds familiar, yes :)

I would consider a centrally mounted TB again, and I am having some thoughts, but I need to get this setup running first. The main reason why I abanoned my Porsche fan setup was that I had a cheap shroud with no internal vanes in it, so I wanted a better cooling setup. If I could combine good looks with T1 shroud, single TB and performance to match the 160-180 bhp in my 2110 oxy, I would be happy :) Biggest hurdle is the alternator placement imo.

Re: Update and improvements on my Oxy build

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm
by grelland
We were going on a local sportscar event on Wednesday, but on the way there, a dreadful noise developed, and we turned around, and headed home. It turned out that the plate behind the alternator hade come loose, so the fan hit the shroud. Thankfully a small issue, but noisy..

I have been having som small oil leaks here and there, and a fried tipped me that the GB breather box might not be optimal, so I took the top off it and had a look inside the inlet to the filter foam:
åndehatt.jpg
And this small opening is WAY smaller than the original system with a 12 mm and a 19mm hole that vents the case.

So to improve a little bit I removed the inside tin entirely, so now there is a 23mm opening into the foam filter, so it will be a lot better at least:
hattinnmat.jpg
hattskum.jpg
So I hope this will be better until I find a more permanent solution.

So this is how the engine looks at present:
motor 2018.jpg
I will be making some improvements still, but now I just want to drive this thing ;)