Porsche 944 brakes/suspension/wheels

Piledriver

Re: Porsche 944 brakes/suspension/wheels

Post by Piledriver »

It seems no one is in a hurry to sell this sort of setup, 2 sellers on ebay seem to be having inventory control issues as well. :evil:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Excuse for you to join 1990 lol.
Porsche Parts Group 944 951 968
https://www.facebook.com/groups/185444484970916/
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Only issue with that is I do not wish to deal with the face book thing.

I esp hate tech sites that "moved" on there, the information is essentially forever lost.
(germanlook.com comes to mind)

One of the damn places on ebay won't sell me anything now unless I "call to to confirm parts availability".
Damn parts are still listed.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Since no one seems to want to sell the 944 stuff I guess I'll find out this weekend if 911 parking brakes and 993TT rear discs work with T1 trailing arms and turned down/redrilled T3 hubs.

I'm pretty sure the parking brake bit at least will bolt on.
Concerns: hub clearance and offset (for the parking brake) and IIRC the mount bolt pattern is the same...but It may not seal the T1 bearings as needed, the 911/914/aluminum arm 944+ rear bearings are pressed in, double row sealed units.

The 993TT rotors have less disc offset than the 914 rotors on there, new caliper mounts needed regardless.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Signed up to facebook and "joined" that group, nothing to see for sale as its a closed group and i'm still "pending".

Facebook is only linear blogging? I was expecting something original, or at least useful.
Looks like a fancy fenced off version of the internet like AOL once was, but most people today never experienced that suck I guess.

Probability of me staying on facebook is a _very_ close approximation of zero, but I'll see what happens for 48 hours.
Expecting SPAM and "friend" requests from scumbags in 3,2,1...

FWIW, finally able to check out the "germanlook.com "forums"... One long blog, no organization, ~zero useful info in a now useless format, and one idiot selling 16x6 early offset 944 7 slots maybe worth $200 for $600.
Some bigger idiot will probably buy them because they look cool painted black.
(excellent rims, I have some, light, and forged)

I'm sure it is awesome for the ADHD crowd that only see the internet through a phone...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Gave up, ordered the whole setup with axles off ebay, finally found a seller that had what they listed.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

pm me your screen name on fb and I can add you to the 944 classified group.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Very informative tread !!

I have a a Bug with IRS in my workshop and the owner want alu trailing arms and want to keep his CSP rear disc brakes. Are there any Porsche 924/944 alu trailing arms that fits both car and brakes??
Like putting alu trailing arms on a 924 instead of the old steel ones and keeping the brakes.

Thanks
/Rolf
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I don't know what CSPs brakes really use for rotors.
If they use 914 rear rotors it won't work, far too deep for the alloy arm caliper mounts.
The 86-only alloy arms end up about 22mm/side wider than T1/T3.
87> are 3" wider per side. The calipers offset varies as well about 3mm.(I had to shim mine due to later calipers)

Wheel offset is hugely critical, you are going to want ET55+ wheels, maybe 928 ET65s.
16s are going to be minimum wheel dia.if using 944 Brembos, Wilwoods might fit under some 15s, but the caliper bolt spacing is just a little too wrong, you'd need to use the radials on adapter mounts.

The 944 bits are excellent and brakes are excellent and ~cheap, and the parking brake is properly separate from the calipers...
The only mistake would be also using 944 calipers up front, they are too big for most ACVWs ~40/60 weight bias unless its jacked up. Might be great on a Bus, or a 914.

To remove all doubt http://brakepower.com/

A typical 2" lowered bug really needs about the same size pistons front and rear, maybe 10% more front, but even tire diameter is a variable.

The rears are 28/30mm and I'm going to try 1.25" (31.75mm) x4 piston Wilwood superlites up front.
The front 944 calipers are something like 36/32s or like that.
I strongly considered finding a second set of rears for the front.

Its easiest to oversize the rear slightly and use a good quality proportioning valve to limit rear braking near max.
If the rears are not at least slightly too big, a proportioning valve is useless and you are giving up some braking power.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Oh, rear is done, shorter Bilsteins out back w/stock springs temporarily.
Didn't get the sway bar mount bolts, which also happen to be the camber eccentrics, in the mail.
Brakes work as expected, still have the 40mmx4 BMW 2002Tii fronts on smaller std T3 rotors, hope to have the 300x38mm fronts and willwoods on the coming long weekend.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

CSP rear disc brake system i a bolt on kit to VW traling arms and are bolted on instead of the stock square flange with the seal and 4 bolts. Are all Porsche 924/944 traling arms with cast in caliper mont/bracket?? It would be most resonable to use the fine 944 brakes, but it can not be aprooved on road legal vehicles. The CSP brake system is allowed.

http://csplink.de/nN9Nv4EW0z

/Rolf
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Rolf wrote: ....Are all Porsche 924/944 trailing arms with cast in caliper mount/bracket??.....

http://csplink.de/nN9Nv4EW0z

/Rolf
The alloy arms are much like 911 arms, caliper mounts are cast in, that CSP kit will only fit t1/t3 arms.
The <=85 arms are T1, but no advantage there.(unless you could run the 944 brakes)

The late arm setup is really not a suspension upgrade other than the ease of adjustability, but that can be had with just the to-85 944 springplates.
Alloy arms do appear to have a bit more neg camber and the axle is raised a bit, and use different springplates.
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

You can get the special sway bar bolts new but they do cost a few $.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Sorry, I'm posting this junk in the wrong thread, gettin old.
Its out of sequence for the intended thread so leaving it here in case it helps someone.

I got a used pair with the adjuster bolts w/links for $25 shipped w/priority mail from a dismantler in LA, should have them tomorrow or Friday. I don't know if I'll need a rear bar... Dubious, but it is an easy option now.
(nowhere NEAR enough adjustment)

Everyone else wants ~40+ for them new. Each.

I scored a $20 pair(!) set of used/good Bilstein B4-0000225 rear shocks used from Ground Control Systems (sold as "Hot Rod Shocks", 42mm, digressive, work out to a 5530ish valving (210/140 lb. IIRC) , they seem to be perfect out back with stock springs, about an inch shorter than stock, drilled the lower bushing in the shock for the 14mm bolt, narrowed the top bushing and rubber to fit the std dimension on top.
(strongly recommended for a slightly lowered T1, but not sure of the valving being std, will have dyno chart next week)

I made new/reangled the T3 upper mounts to they "work properly"...match the 944 shock angle properly, have max motion ratio, the better angle looks like it will even allow enough room for 2.5" coil overs in not inverted.

This particular set had 1/2" bushings on both ends, so they may have been customized.
I have some 7100s coming but it will be a few weeks, the current rears will probably go up front, and the 7100s will go in back. These will be dyno'd next week along with the 4020s S6Ms on the front, Dyno is flat $8/shock, a great price from Smileys, and they are local.(they sell oval track racing gear)
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

yeah vanagon axels are available at oriley for cheap... you can also just specify the 944 axel its the same part number. You also need the transmission cup to fit the axle bolt pattern. I think I got the Thing cups. I can look later.

When I finish my conversion completely I'll do a nice writeup here on STF.
https://www.instagram.com/lucithebug/channel/ <has a WIP videos ect.

all the trailing arms will bolt up, the spring plate is in the same place. The difference is with late vs early model the axle stub on the outside is longer or shorter. Lanner at VW Engineering makes some adapters so the E Brake will just work.