Selection of my cars from 1978 to today, more coming

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Hi,

I wish I knew more specifically.
I bought 8 wheels from two scrap yards and both by phone.
I just asked for the steel wheel looking ones but of alumnium and 5 series mid nineties.
These guys knew exactly.
Now like I think I wrote, these two sets ended up having slightly different offset but otherwise same wight and looking good.
Can not help more than that. Sorry but good luck.
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Report from the track day on Monday this week.
Car runs but is not tuned well enough to perform even better lap times than last year.
Potential is there though.
I must say that buying CB Quicktune EFI and starting it up was an impressive experience.
This was my fourth EFI. The previous ones being twice Motec and then lastly a DTA. Áll good but way complicated verus the CB unit.

I have managed (not self chosen but the way it has turned out due to half my workshop being on the other side of the world) to start up and even run the track without connecting a laptop. No, not what CB recommends but the unit was so well pre-mapped and then self learning that I could run.
More reporting as I check out the car in the coming weeks.

blitzvw

Post by blitzvw »

Frallan wrote:Hi,

I wish I knew more specifically.
I bought 8 wheels from two scrap yards and both by phone.
I just asked for the steel wheel looking ones but of alumnium and 5 series mid nineties.
These guys knew exactly.
Now like I think I wrote, these two sets ended up having slightly different offset but otherwise same wight and looking good.
Can not help more than that. Sorry but good luck.
Thanks, will check our local BMW scrapyard :wink:
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Drag racing with a car not prepared for it, is stupid. I should have known better and finished the gearbox supports before doing what I did....
Now I also know by own experience how good traction concrete pad gives.

A few starts and the result is given.
No more driving and drag racing nor track time until this is well modified and engineered.
keirnbug

Post by keirnbug »

Hey, that is to bad, but atleast you got to break it yourself :)
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

I forgot to mention this picture as I am very proud of it.
In our events with 20 plus mixed cars we do like real racing, whoever is is ranked in timing, gets the ranking as start number following year.
The #1 on my car means I was quickest out of 20+ cars in 2008.
Most of them are V8 but also other sportscars.
Sure, the truth is that my main competitors the 427 equiped AC Cobra, the Lola T70 and SC Corvette had walkover but so what?
This yera only gave me 12th out of only 5 laps performed but 2010 will be the yar of real super performance and reliability.
I now have a running car and first time ever spending time around the car in my own home country. Time to work!
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Just got these from a friend.

I was in so much hurry leaving the garage that I even forgot to mount the rear bumber.
It could have been worse things to forget..........

Frallan

Post by Frallan »

It is just test mounted but I think I will use it for trackdays.
The links will have pit pins or similar so I can easily take it off.
I do like the look of it and it is of course done in CF.
Now the endplates will be modified in to something smoother and slightly smaller.
joosep84

Post by joosep84 »

Awsome pictures.
could you tell me how much faster would be the dragster than car with the same engine? how much lighter? if I mean smaller engine like 200 or 300 hp ?
Thanks.
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Hi Joosep84,

Write to me on [email protected] and I will see if I can help you with some of your questions/simulations.
Frallan

Re: Selection of my cars from 1978 to today, more coming

Post by Frallan »

Finally happening.
+10kg saving pers side.
Looks?
Do not know yet until windows and the rest is mounted plus car is out in the sun.

Frallan

Post by Frallan »

No more broken gearbox supports.
New front one also in the making.

Frallan

Post by Frallan »

I realized I have not updated for a while.
I have not been 100% on idle.
Unfortunately for these two projects, further activity will be limited to few times per year as I am now in Panama for the next few years to come.

The Blue Carbon beetle is getting a new intake and exhaust sound dampening device.
It is a verrrry old Crown Rajay E flow from a Corvair kit I bought 25 years ago.
It will just help the engine to breathe just so slightly better.
Honestly, I will settle for fairly high compression and keep the boost at few psi.
If any of this basic idea changes, I will design and replace the pistons for something with thicker crown.

What else can you see?
Double oilcoolers sucking fresh air linked in from the front through the tunnel. Few aluminium plates and some more cleanup is still missing.
Also deep in there is a chamber with a large electrical fan sucking fresh air from below the car.
It feeds the intercooler and inlet filter for the turbo.
You aslso need to know that I have manúfactured two enclosures. One for the turbo above the gerabox but also one more which is enclosing a larger area of the back seat.
So all the colling air from the intercooler and oil fans will exit in the right side of the car in two openings. One in the right rear wheel arc and one more in the bottom of the pan.

The other pictures are from my dear dragster that has come in from the cold.
The original paint is now showing signs of age. The paint has let through moisture and now the alumnium is corroding in nice bubbles from below. In certain areas it looks really sick.
Anyway, as the paint is from 1978, I will keep it as long as possible. A lot of good memories.
Very few items are now missing to make it a nostalgic race car again.
The main ingredient is garage time.
Just fyi, the name Pank translates Broke and the sub text in Swedish writes in slang "no money".
The two characters are me and my racing partner Bengt.
He at least looks a little bit the way he looked at the time and he was also a scuba diver so therefore the flippers.
I was thinner than thin in reality at 5.8" feet and 130 lbs. so I guess this is what he wanted to make visible.

As you can see the painter had a certain inclination for dirty stuff. Fully cool normal guy in all other aspects.
The name of his company was "masturbatemore".
We got all the work done by him for free, so who complained? Not us.
Am I breaking some rules by posting this here? Should I edit something....I hope not as this is it.

dangerous

Post by dangerous »

Thanks for posting your latest Pictures Frallan.
I am sure you know, but there is a small cack visble in the oil gallery, in the photo of the engine support bar.
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Sharp eye.
Yes, It bugged me already in 1987 when I drove the plug in there with loctite.
I was going to keep track of that crack and I did for some years.
But since long time ago I forgot about it.
Now it irritates me even more.Thanks for reminding me.