16 year old's 35 year old beetle!

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
lw421

16 year old's 35 year old beetle!

Post by lw421 »

Ok, so i've been working on my car lots lately, and i figured i would post some pictures for you guys.

(some of the pictures are flipped backwards for some reason)

First off, this is what it looked like when i got it. Stock EVERYTHING.

Body work is a pain, but this is what looks like half way through body work

I took off the dash pad (for good) and made lots of aluminum peices for the interior. The plate where the stereo should be will be a control panel.

Here is what the engine looked like stock

and here is it after some new parts

And then i decided to replace that gross firewall with some nice aluminum panel

The wheels are from a marathon beetle- all stamped 1972

Thats all for now- more to come as i get more stuff done

What do you think? Please post your thoughts
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Nice start, keep us posted. What are your plans for it moving forward?
lw421

Post by lw421 »

well i get my full license in mid october- so i need paint done by then for sure, along with most of the interior. It will be painted some dull form of black (semi gloos, flat, satin?) with gloss red exterior accents (like the lug nuts and brake drums)

I got a job after getting this car, and every bit of the money from my job goes into this car.

Not sure i will be done on time though. Just today i had a brake line rupture on me when i was adjusting the brake pedal- add that to the list.

Just got done replacing all rubber fuel line, I've been going through rewiring as i see nessesary.

I also started putting together the switch panel today and wired up some of that. Gotta go to O'reilleys tomorrow to get a few more toggle switches.

I do about an hour of body work a day, and i can usually get 5 or 6 hours of tinkering in a day.

But school starts in a couple weeks, so that will take my time down to about 12 hours a week- at the very most.
bparravicino

Post by bparravicino »

A big high five to you! Do'nt try to make it a show car all @ once just make it safe and enjoy it . Welcome to the youngest beetle owner on STF.
lw421

Post by lw421 »

bparravicino wrote:A big high five to you! Do'nt try to make it a show car all @ once just make it safe and enjoy it . Welcome to the youngest beetle owner on STF.
Thanks!

No show car here- i dont have that kinda money.

so far i've spent $3300 including price of the car.

I've been around cars my whole life, so this is a natural thing for me. My mom INSISTED i get a car with airbags, seatbelts, etc, but i really wanted something i could work on. Driving down the road one day and there sits an orange bug with a for sale sign. I casually said "theres a dream car". Turns out my mom wanted a bug for her first car too but her dad wouldn't let her get it, so she let me buy it.

She had no idea how much work it would be, but thats ok =D
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

OK the reversed pictures threw me for a loop for a minute, butI am OK now.

Looks good, and welcome to the STF. It is noce to see new memberes of your generation show us that the spirit will continue.

Rob
ysabel

Post by ysabel »

looks good anyway.....
Bandi

Re: 16 year old's 35 year old beetle!

Post by Bandi »

Sweet! I bought a '74 Bug the same day i turned 16... yours is way nicer, mine had no floors left. Put a JC Whitney floorpan in it, and drove it all through high school.
Bandi

Re: 16 year old's 35 year old beetle!

Post by Bandi »

Found a pic!

She was rusty... but I loved her.