Bonemaro's '73 Ghia

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
Bonemaro

Bonemaro's '73 Ghia

Post by Bonemaro »

I've had a few ask to see the Ghia. Whelp, here's what I'm starting my project with.

As stated in the topic, it's a 1973 and has 48K original miles on it. My grandfather bought it for $75 in the early 90's. He passed in 2001 and it's been sitting in northern Ohio rusting ever since. I'm finally bringing her down to Georgia to begin the restoration process. I'm sure I'll be calling on STF a lot for help and info.

So... here she is.

Last edited by Bonemaro on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonemaro

Re: Bonemaro's '73 Ghia

Post by Bonemaro »

Oh yes indeed. New server. Fixed. Thanks.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Can't remember the last time I saw a `73 `Ghia with an engine that unmolested. The wiring's a little untidy, but it looks like nearly everything is there and original. Missing charcoal canister is the most noticeable "flaw" - even if you don't restore it to stock, you'll want to see what state the fuel tank vent system was left in when it was removed.

Here's a `73 with the diaphragm throttle positioner on the carb, charcoal canister, both hoses on the aircleaner, inline fuseholder clips, etc. This one originally had AC and has been messed with a little. Image
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

Thanks. It was my grandfathers, so I have no idea what he did to it. I plan on molesting it quite a bit though.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Those fender skirts are righteous.
If you ever get rid of them, I call dibs
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

Really? I planned on taking them off.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

By the way where the hell is dacula?
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Looked it up, hell, I lived in Lawrenceville, Lilburn, and Norcross when I was a kid.
(I will.not discuss how many years ago that was)

I am interested in them, but am unemployed aat the moment. So, realistically, if someone.offers you bucks for them, take it.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I would also like to know how he attached the skirts, and a FYI the fender changed shape several times over the years so don't get too excited about a sale/purchase.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

helowrench wrote:By the way where the hell is dacula?
Right next to Lawrenceville, population 1400. I moved here a couple years ago from Woodstock.
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

sideshow wrote:I would also like to know how he attached the skirts, and a FYI the fender changed shape several times over the years so don't get too excited about a sale/purchase.
I couldn't sell anyway. Any parts I remove are going into storage... just in case.
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

I tell you what though. At the risk of bastardizing this poor car, I'm seriously considering looking into swapping the lights, as well as the bumpers, from the '69 model. 1973 is not the best looking Ghia imo.

...wonder how much hell I'll catch.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I would still like to know how he attached them, I've got a pair that fits my wells but am baffled on what it takes
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

I'll let you know.
Marc

Post by Marc »

You could backdate the bumpers relatively easily by fabricating custom brackets (we've discussed this before) but the lights would require some serious modification- especially the rears, you would need to slice off the back of the fenders and weld on pieces from an earlier car in order to lose those big taillights.
Considering the outrageous cost of a nice pair of early `Ghia bumpers, and how strange the car would look with them and the late lights, I would leave 'er be and learn to like the way it looks (sans fender skirts, though, those are just ridiculous on a `73). Do a nice paint-job (one color, please) and find some sharp wheels that'll fit, then concentrate on your custom upholstery - that's the view you'll have when driving it.