My shop-car; the Squarsche

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
aircooledtechguy

My shop-car; the Squarsche

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I don't get out of the type3 forum much these days so unless you go there, you will not have seen this. We just recently finished the latest phase on our shop-car. If you're a stock-nazi; look away before you go into convulsions. . . :lol:

It's a '67 Square with Porsche 911 front suspension/steering/brakes, Koni yellow front shocks, 944 rear suspension/brakes, 17x6.5/8 Boxter wheels, 914 engine (currently a 2056cc) w/ MS3X injection w/ dual 45mm ITBs and COP ignition, 912E 5-speed, 911 shifter w/ 917 shift knob, 911 seats w/ heat, 930 Turbo steering wheel, 914 mirrors, fiberglass bumpers w/ 914 Flex-dam in front. The front fenders were pulled 1", the rears were stretched 3" and the NACA ducts feed ducted air into the engine fan for added cooling.

Last week at World Of Speed at Bonneville:

A 2316cc full race engine will soon replace the tired 2056cc and we'll be turning our attention to putting the old girl on a diet. Currently it's my DD.
doc
Site Admin

Re: My shop-car; the Squarsche

Post by doc »

Really good looking!

doc
saggs

Post by saggs »

That's awesome, I love the blend of old and new! Did you do any top speed runs while you were there? That car's a rolling test lab with all the mods you've done.
aircooledtechguy

saggs wrote:That's awesome, I love the blend of old and new! Did you do any top speed runs while you were there? That car's a rolling test lab with all the mods you've done.
Yes. With mixed results and a steep learning curve!! :lol:

The 2056cc motor is essentially a stock bottom-end with 96mm P&C and stock heads. . . with about 125K+ miles on it (with the last 30K beating it into submission my me)!! CR is conservative at around 8:1 with the only bump being replacing the stock dished Porsche 94s with flat-top 96s. I would estimate power at around 100BHP at best. Definitely fun on the street, but in the thin Bonneville air, @ 4200', the motor built approx 18-20% less HP (instead of 14.7lbs of air pressure we had around 12lbs. This resulted in a lazy feeling engine (even with altitude compensating programmed into the MS3X). We just could not pull 5th gear and 1st - 4th were listless and lazy feeling :evil: . On my final run, I banged off the rev-limiter on every shift (5600rpms) and shifting into 5th (@ 90mph), it just sat there and couldn't gain much speed in the final 1/4 mile. We ended with a top speed in the standing mile of 96.990mph. This was good enough to give us the type-3 VW Challenge record, thus bringing it back to the US of A from Australia. We also were the first to run a type3 at Bonneville which was a bit of a surprise. It's just very humbling to only achieve 96.990mph when on any given day at sea level, we can blast to 115+mph on a whim. :lol: That altitude was incredible and the effect was an eye-opener for sure. It's no wonder ALL the fast cars are forced induction.

In the future, we will respond in kind!! Lesson learned!! As money becomes available, we will up our game and hopefully bring the bar to a more respectable level. We're officially competing in the "130 club" class. I fully intend to exercise and exploit the full potential of this car in the class we compete in.

The gauntlet has officially been thrown down!! :lol: :twisted:
Last edited by aircooledtechguy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
falcor

Post by falcor »

How did i miss this car.....love it !
Lani_Ofswen

Post by Lani_Ofswen »

awesome vintage car... please take good care of that car. our beetle is already deteriorating :( .... still saving it and hopefully she'll survive the make over hehe
aircooledtechguy

Thanks for the kind words guys; It's a really fun project.

That salt never stops. I cleaned out probably 40# from each front fender and another 30# off the rest of the vehicle upon my return. Paint bubbles are coming. It's a good thing I only spent $20 on the bomb-can paint job huh?? :lol: I think I'm going to POR-15 the entire inner fenders and all the places salt seemed to be prevalent. If you drive on it, it will rust. I knew that going in. :wink:
aircooledtechguy

About 6-months ago, we installed the 2316cc that my son Josh built @ 14 y/o. Had a client send me some video of it in motion doing some drive-bys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7b28D ... tube_gdata
aircooledtechguy

We built our car specifically for auto-x and track days events. Lately we've been doing some local auto-x's out at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA. Super fun, and these events are laid-back affairs with maximum seat time. Typically we get 20+ runs in an event. Undoubtedly the best $50 I've spent racing!! Here's some action shots and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9PmSriVKSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbXN7MYIdY
2-6-16-4 - Copy.jpg
2-6-16-5 - Copy.jpg
2-6-16-8 - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Looks like fun, good to see your car being used.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing