Mini Splitscreen for my son buildup

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
samotorsport

Mini Splitscreen for my son buildup

Post by samotorsport »

It all started in June 2013 at European Bugin where I bought the body, in the beginning I thought to build it in a couple of years, but it ended up to become a birthdaygift for his 3 rd Birthday end of September

To get some wheels and steering I bought a used karting without engine.

Getting the frontwheels set up in a self build jig

Basic chassis setup with FK bucket seat for Kids

Chassis almost done with complete rollcage

Front part of the chassis with batteries in place (3x 12V 22Ah) and wheel arches halfway done

Brake is a 4 pistons Honda CBR caliper with hydraulic handbrake from a rallycar, like this even a 3 year old can drive this 110 kg bus

36 V 500 Watt engine with chaindrive over a second axle to get speed down and torque up
Topspeed is 12 km/h when I drive it, but there is a drivespeed with 5 km/h when my son is driving on his own

More chassis work

Primered in yellow with clear topcoat with goldflakes in it , here you can also see the dashboard with ignition switch and switches for horn and blue light

In the front you can see the control box so I can cut the power when he is driving to fast or to far away, I also can also switch on and off the light and horn over the remote control

Body paint job

The headlights are custom made stickers, I took some pictures of a friends split and got the stickers printed to make them look real

So after all this was done and he got it and took it for a couple of rides he found out I forgot something.
Guess what, the trailer hitch, therefore I modified it so he can pull me with the dragster to the starting lane

This brought me to the idea for his 4 th birthdaygift ;)

Overall I ve spend like 450 hours into the bus and another 50 into the trailer
So if you wanna get such a project started you got an idea of what to expect
Best regards
Sam
sideshow

Re: Mini Splitscreen for my son buildup

Post by sideshow »

That is an epic build, any chance that body is available to common folks?
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
samotorsport

Post by samotorsport »

Not sure if you still get them . Over here in europe they hat some copyright issues selling them. The problem is the shipping as well, the body is like 170 cm long . Scaled 1:2,4
On top they are not cheap .
Where are you from ?
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

North America, west coast. I remember seeing what I think is one of those bodies in person before, it was color matched on a small single axle trailer behind a split bus, and had Oregon plates, but has been a few years.
Figured since it was somewhat local (same state), I would see it again, but no such luck.

I asked a guy in Florida (east coast) about one he had, and he was really vague about it and never did answer really simple basic questions like wheel base and width.
samotorsport

Post by samotorsport »

There is a company in Australia doing similar ones, looking nice but not proportional in every detail. There might some show up around here but the problem is to get them over to the states. As I said 172 cm long, around 70 cm weidth and may 80 heigh . To ship this it s gonna cost a fortune. The body itself costs around 650 USD
And believe me , this is not even the most expensive bit ;)
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

No project has inexpensive parts. Figured yours was sourced in the EU, never knew that somebody in AU was doing similar.

Closer to me was a guy making a beetle in a size I could use, but I am strictly commercial bus or ghia person.
Don't see his shell currently available http://www.piersideparts.net/WERKSBERG.html
samotorsport

Post by samotorsport »

Yeah i ve seen some mini bugs as well, if i ever get father for second time I gonna build one of these . I saw a Karmann the other day on a pic but no idea who is making them. I see if I can find some body. Have a look for sickntwisted designs in australia. And 27three in UK I think they might still have some as well .
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

Sideshow, I saw a bus with matching mini-bus on I-205 in Clackamas last summer. Candy-red and white or silver. Is that the one you saw? I was so impressed we did the freeway camera-gawker drive-by. Looking for the photo on the previous phone....
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

Sideshow, I saw a bus with matching mini-bus on I-205 in Clackamas last summer. Candy-red and white or silver. Is that the one you saw? I was so impressed we did the freeway camera-gawker drive-by. Looking for the photo on the previous phone....
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Sorry for the thread side track, no real information seems to exist on the oregon mini bus but this video seems to be the same body.
http://youtu.be/oPCwhfkTZLo?t=15s
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

That's the one! The rig that pulls it is stunning, too.
Bugzie

Post by Bugzie »

Outstanding!!