.........nearly there....whad'ya think so far?

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
Al-B

Post by Al-B »

Hello one and all .... 'time for an update with a few pic's (I'm currently convalesing after having a fair bit of metalwork put in my feet :lol: )
... it's been a while so ....

Some engine pics... (taken today - 7 Sept 09)

As I mentioned ... 'slightly' in a previous post ... there's now a bit of laughing gas running through its lungs :twisted:

Flick the switch...

Push the purge button ...

and when at full throttle .... the faintest of clicks

and ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
hpw

Re: .........nearly there....whad'ya think so far?

Post by hpw »

Any updates? How about a youtube video :!:
jaywiz1977

Post by jaywiz1977 »

All i can say is what a beautiful work of art!I have a 68 sitting at home that will one day be my toy,and i hope it turns out as well as yours!
Al-B

Post by Al-B »

Erm ....Hello again .... 'been away for a while :) ... (3 tours of Afghanistan and some other stuff) ... the bug has been tucked away under cover in a hangar for the past 4 years and is a little ... erm ... tired. I used it as my daily driver from day one and racked up over 40,000 miles in its current guise.

I'm about to start its re-commission.

The seats have sort of ... turned to dust in places ... as you brush the tweed it disappears, so getting the seats re-covered is a must.

The carbs have seized on one side ('have a couple of spares though) and they'll need a rebuild.

Brakes are free but I'll give them a quick re-build and new pads ... just to be on the safe side.

It needs a GOOD clean and a look at some of the perishables ... but it should be a pretty simple ... if time consuming ... task.

Anything else that you think I should be looking at?

Cheers guys
Al-B

Post by Al-B »

well... nearly a year on from getting the bug back in my life ... working 'away' again! I'm now going through the re-commission!

Poured some fresh gas in the tank.... charged the battery .... crossed my fingers and went for it ... 'plugs out to build up oil pressure first.

Only to be rewarded with a plume of brown water spray from #3 cylinder!

Not good... it seems that rain water had somehow got into the carb' and filled the cylinder. 'good job I didn't try to turn the engine over with the 'plugs in ... hydraulic lock anyone?

Aw well .. nothing ventured nothing gained :-) clean up the 'plugs, especially the rusty #3 one and give it a whirl.

Two cranks and the engine burst back into life ... sort of. It was clear that #3 wasn't happy.

Carb's off ... spotlessly cleaned and rebuilt ... try again ... same issue.

'Thoughts at this stage are a rusted cylinder/rings = not sealing ... rusted valve/seat = not sealing.

Either way it's an engine out job to identify the issue. I've got a spare set of BIG valve 'heads that I've had for about 6 years now so ... it's a perfect opportunity to add some more performance whilst I'm at it :-)

So I've dropped the engine ... whipping the 'head off has revealed a 'tide mark of rust right up to the spark plug. it's fair to say that the valves look a bit ... 'furry'. But they're certainly not beyond redemption and with a bit of TLC and a wee while with some grinding paste they'll be good to go.

But I'm still putting the big valve 'heads on! :twisted:

The cylinders (#3 & #4) look a little worse for wear, they're not pitted but they don't look how a cylinder should ... it's a bit scummy and black and feels rough to touch.

Pulling the cylinder off revealed the piston and rings in surprisingly good shape, just a touch of rust/dust on the top rings. They're saveable.

But ... for the price of a new set of pistons & barrels is it really worth going through all the hassle of honing them out and re-ringing the pistons? Even then it might not work, so .... new P&B it is :-)

And that's where I stand at the mo', I'll get some pic's up soon so you can all see what old father time ... and 45,000 miles of UK roads and weather has had on the bug.

I can't wait to get back out in it though ... I've really missed it!

Al
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Good to see you around again. Welcome back. How about some more of those great pics? Teardown pics?

doc
Al-B

Post by Al-B »

Hi Doc .... I'll work on them :-)