Honest opinion Rustoleum

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
twodogsbob

Honest opinion Rustoleum

Post by twodogsbob »

I'm in the process of building a baja, nothing special just a sweet grocery runner..
Rest of the vehicle will be shot with automotive paint but, to save some dollars do you see a problem, if properly prepared, sanded, wax and grease removed, if I shoot Rustoleum primers and paints in the wheel wells, hood compartment, and engine compartment.. They will be shot with a gun and not rattle canned..
Thanks Bob
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Before going for this method... check into one of the industrial paints (zero rust, master series, POR etc).

Tim
namelesswonder

Post by namelesswonder »

I would do higher quality for wheel wells and engine compartment, as those will be "exposed" to various elements, and your trunk area will not.

However prep work is key, so it could last well enough, but probably not as long as an industral paint.
Franz the Thunder Pumpkin!
Permanent member of the "Baja may not be running" club
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I've had very good luck with spray can rustoleum on undercarriage parts. As namelesswonder points out, good prep is key. Rustoleum is not as durable as the more expensive industrial encapsulators. If you hit it hard enough, it will chip. Never heard a complaint about POR15, but it's pricey.

Rustoleum will not be show car quality, but it will do a reasonable job. You gotta decide what results you want. Rustoleum is easy, cheap and available at every home center and hardware store.

Rustoleum painted brake parts

Let us know where you come out.

doc
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

If you're still deciding, I can take pix of my Single Cab rear deck with brushed on Zero Rust...

My next car will have this for everything that's not in a "pretty" location

I actually use my single cab as a truck.. I've had to touch it up due to scratching etc.. is fairly simple to update.

Tim
GodJockey

Post by GodJockey »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 53&start=0

Here is a great test of alot of frequently used antirust products, the rustoleum does a great job even compared to the high priced products and mind you your car will never see these conditions.
bugsterkafer

Post by bugsterkafer »

Buy once, go the epoxy route :wink:
hugging corners

Re: Honest opinion Rustoleum

Post by hugging corners »

bump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hugging corners on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

I would just buy a can of Master Series myself..I have tried it and POR-15 and I like masterseries a lot better...
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Use Rustoleum for the entire car. Inexpensive, tough, durable, and looks great. I had people with paint jobs costing thousands of dollars complimenting my Rustoleum paint.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

Rustoleum sun-fades pretty quickly. I prepped and pained my previous DD with it, and while it looked okay, the paint faded enough in a single year that touch-up paint (from the same batch as the original paint) was noticeable at a glance from a few car-lengths away... and I was painting in sky blue, not a vivid or dark color.
craigvwdude

Post by craigvwdude »

Rustoleum as Stray Catalyst pointed out, will fade pretty fast. It just doesn't have quality resins and have UV protection.
There's a reason it's cheap! :-)
bens collision

Post by bens collision »

If u want some cheap, durable paint for the under side, go to ur local farm supply store and look for some vansickle paint. Its an industial enamal and only runs about $25 / gal in our area
crvc

Post by crvc »

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/k ... G_3180.jpg

I needed to go cheap and went to the local Napa to check prices on a case of Rustoleum. They said their two-stage paint would be less and would last a lot longer than rustoleum. Once I started working with the Napa brand paint I found how tough it is. I did this three years ago. Now and then I patch chips with an identical color Rustoleum.

kevin
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

For areas where finish quality is unimportant (trunk, underside/under fenders) but durability is key, don't forget truck bed liner.

I haven't met a rustoleum product that can take any chemical contact.
Fuel/brake cleaner/brake fluid gets on it--~antyhing, it's done.

It's a shame it can look so good when you do all the prep, but it's the same prep effort for a decent paint that will last, and the PAINT cost difference is really not that huge for most paints.

Having to strip it all off again to paint it properly is the worst part.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.