need help replacing door window glass

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
peggy

need help replacing door window glass

Post by peggy »

Repacing all the door seals- messed up big time and broke the door window on the regulator. After getting most of the seals in now, and the glass shards out of the door and off the floor- how do I put the glass and vinal seal in that tiny narrow little lift channel?

And while I'm asking you good folks for help- I've heard multiple suggestions- regulator or glass first?

Mine is not the one piece glass that I can putin from the top- it is a '67 that has to come in from the bottom.

Many thanks,
peggy
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Peggy.. the least frustrating part is to remove the asseembly completely .. assemble outside of the car then install.

Dang - sorry to hear about your glass - do you have access to a replacement? I may have one in storage -0-- unfortunately I'm accross the world.
peggy

Post by peggy »

Yeh, the whole assembly is out of the door now- it's figuring out the order to put them back in after I get the glass back into the riser. Anything I have read says go to a shop where they have a vise thing that can slide it in. There are a number of places that work on bugs pretty exclusively, so think I can find one. The galss I was able to purchase- not as heavy as the German, which is disappointing, but it is the right size.
Deal is, is it better to put the glass back in first, and then raise it up in the door and put int he regulator mechanism, or the regulator stuff and then the glass behind? I've seen both suggested.
MN- lived there for awile. Lots of road salt.
Thanks,
peggy
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Peggy..

If you have a lcoal shop. they probably can sell you a cheap door or just the loaded glass.

I always take mine to a windowglass shop - they'll pop it in for $10
peggy

Post by peggy »

Got the glass remounted in the lift gizmo at a local shop- cost more than $10 though- had to pay for the tube of goo- twice that and some...
Anyhow- tips for getting it all back in the door without busting it again???
Thanks,
peggy
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I know this will sound nutty.

Bugs are "precision" unlike USA cars, they do not need to be strong armed..

The unfortunate thing is that many times they need to be disassembled 100% to be easily reassembled (all brackets out etc).

I lay them flat on the ground and then slowly insert into the door... the exact step by step is pages long and spelled out in the expanded version of the Bentley Manual..

If you're forcing something in a VW.. something else was not fully removed - working "around" doesn't work 98% of the time.

Tim