==Summer NOTE - Paint in the Shade==

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
MNAirHead

==Summer NOTE - Paint in the Shade==

Post by MNAirHead »

Howdy.

About this time every year we get emails about painting outside etc..

Biggest reminder is NOT to paint in the sun.. you really need the materials to cure at an even rate as designed.

Once the piece as "flashed" you can move it out doors to warm up and cure a bit faster.

Do not let paint flash in the sun.
Oldbugss

Post by Oldbugss »

I could see this happening. Outside in the sun and you get to see everything all lit up and visible! Tempting mistake I bet.

Especially for someone like me that hasn't painted yet. I sure wish I had a dedicated paint booth. I might just have to make some sort of retractable type inside the garage. Well lit of course and not outside!

Dennis C~
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Dennis.

I'm sure you're well aware that a booth really isn't 100% necessary.. you can vaccuum dust from above.. then wet the floor.

Doing this in a dirt floored barn probably the brightest.. a good clean garage is a good idea.

You wil get paint "dust" everywhere.. cover it if you may not want it to be matching your car.

T.
Oldbugss

Post by Oldbugss »

Good clean garage isn't mine I guess. I was just thinking of rolling down plastic sheets from the ceiling to curb the over spray a bit. Wetting the floor I was aware of.

Maybe even a sheet of plastic above to keep the nasties from floating down too?

I have the great compressor and first stage oil and water removal. Now to paint I need one more water separator and I am leaning towards the dessicant type. Just for that one last separation and filtering. Overkill?
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Probably overkill if you have a decent primary oil and water filter. But, you know what they say - You can't have too much overkill...... :roll:

I use the plastic sheet enclosure method in my garage and it works out pretty well. I think the next step up is a booth and that's just prohibitive for most of us. You might check in to renting space in a booth if you live in a big town.

There is hardly a way to keep every piece of dust out of the clear cost - it's like an attracting glue when sprayed. But it just means you have to final sand, buff and polish. All is not lost because of a few flaws.

doc
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Dennis.

If you go to the Sharpe website they show a great layout.

Remember you need oil free hoses...

A Chiller helps in MN - if you're painting in the humid months, will help pull more water out of the lines.. you can ghetto fab one for an infrequent use.