what kind of paint to use?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
lw421

what kind of paint to use?

Post by lw421 »

I am working on preping my 1974 beetle for paint, and was looking for some pointers on what kind of paint. The primer i am using has a satin black color that i love. I dont want gloss paint. What would be the disadvantages of leaving my car in this black primer? Do they sell a no gloss clear coat?

I also thought about using jdbb.

What would be the most cost effective option that will hold up well?
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Almost certainly, you can find a clear coat that is compatible with what you used as primer. An auto paint store can confirm compatability of products.

Clear coats are just that, clear. They show the color underneath. But I have only used "shiny" clearcoat. It gives the glass like quality of the finished paint. This may make your "rough" primer look a lot shinier than you're thinking. Again, you can ask at the paint store about a 'duller" topcoat. Done right, clearcoat will protect the surface for many years.

The other thing you might ask at the paint store is how they would do it. My paint guy is really good about answering questions. Very knowledgeable, so always worth talking to.

Let us know how you do.

doc
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Depends the exact primer you used..

A 2k eurethane sealer MAY be Ok..

Disadvantage as the primer is not inteded to be naked to the elements and normally is not UV and/or water resistant.

You're best having the vendor make a color coat and then order your clear coat mixed with a "flattner"

T.
lw421

Post by lw421 »

what about John Deere Blitz Black (jdbb)? I have heard good things about it, and apparently it runs around $30 a gallon. i have also heard that they sell a clear coat to match for around the same price. Has anyone here used jdbb with favorable results?
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

I believe Valspar sells a flat black "tractor and implement" paint. Mix it with Valspar paint hardener and you have very durable and good-looking paint.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
Dingleberry

Post by Dingleberry »

Good idea to look beyond regular automotive paint for an affordable and durable paint. I have dealt mostly with marine paint not any cheaper than auto paint but more durable although most is highly toxic. Good tractor paint should be durable so if anyone has used paint other than that designated as auto paint and had good results I would love to hear about it.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I have zero rust in the truckbed of my singlecab.. goes on satin.. low cost.. seems to be durable so far.

You can order a flattner wiht your paint...
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

lw421 wrote:what about John Deere Blitz Black (jdbb)? I have heard good things about it, and apparently it runs around $30 a gallon. i have also heard that they sell a clear coat to match for around the same price. Has anyone here used jdbb with favorable results?
Sorry that I missed this one.

If I remember correctly this is a Sherwin Williams Industrial or Valspar Industrial.

The hotrod guys swear by it... I've tried it.. reading the tech sheets it's more of a top coat than an encapsulant.

The good thing about John Deere is that they'll connect you to the factory rep for a white paper. My instinct from working with it is that the engineers would suggest using the typical 6 layer methods.

Remember Satin is a touchy finish to keep looking good before it oxidizes.
MNAirHead

Re: what kind of paint to use?

Post by MNAirHead »

lw421 wrote:I am working on preping my 1974 beetle for paint, and was looking for some pointers on what kind of paint. The primer i am using has a satin black color that i love. I dont want gloss paint. What would be the disadvantages of leaving my car in this black primer? Do they sell a no gloss clear coat?

I also thought about using jdbb.

What would be the most cost effective option that will hold up well?
Any updates to your decisions?
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Dingleberry wrote:Good tractor paint should be durable so if anyone has used paint other than that designated as auto paint and had good results I would love to hear about it.
We've been using tractor and implement paint with the hardener for years now. The stuff looks great and is TOUGH! No dings or chips visible even after years of hauling ass up and down a gravel driveway.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Min..

What brand are you using.

I'm guessing it's some type of flat enamel.
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

MNAirHead wrote:Min..

What brand are you using.

I'm guessing it's some type of flat enamel.
Valspar tractor and implement enamel. It's very glossy! They do have flat black. We get it at Tractor Supply.

http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/reside ... ar_imp.jsp
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Does Valspar (or your implement) have a series of primers

Tim
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

MNAirHead wrote:Does Valspar (or your implement) have a series of primers

Tim
http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/reside ... primer.jsp