How do I get the door handles off?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
crvc

How do I get the door handles off?

Post by crvc »

The 1967 bug that I'm repainting has solid doors with no rust and no problems with the window mechanism. For these reasons I plan to lightly sand then paint. But I'd like to remove the handles instead of taping them. From the inside I can't see where the handles would be attached.

TIA,

kevin
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Look next to the latch mechanism on the door jam (on the door, not the body), probably partially hidden behind the weather stripping is a large sunken phillips head screw. Remove that, then the handle will pull forward or backwards (front or rear of car, can't remember which) and pull out.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Sneaks has it.. look for a "dimple" where the metal dips in.. near the handle.. pull the rubber gasket out.. there will be fasteners behind.
crvc

Post by crvc »

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the three philips head screws and the handle dropped off.

So what about the window trim. Do I just lever it off with a screwdriver or are there more buried screws somewhere holding it together?

TIA,

kevin
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Window trim is held on with clips.. finesse it out.. do not destroy or thow out any door clips.
crvc

Post by crvc »

Thanks, I kinda figured it out. But there were three small philips-head screws that I wasn't expecting. I ordered a pair of door kits from Cal Imports and I'm hoping they include new trim because I destroyed the old trim while trying to get it out.

kevin