Bent IRS Housing...? Not sure what to do...

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
TedzBug

Bent IRS Housing...? Not sure what to do...

Post by TedzBug »

I don't know what to do about this or if there is anything i can do....

I spun my car out and hit a curb on the rear passenger wheel a few years ago hard enough to bend the trailing arm and now it seems, even the IRS housing.... check out the pics, tell me what you think... Is this a loss? (find another pan or car?) or is it straighten-able?
It seems to have pulled the passenger side housing back and the panel at the back of the pan about a 1/2"...

Drivers side:
Pass Side:

Drivers side:
Pass Side:

Drivers Side:
Pass Side:
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Bent IRS Housing...? Not sure what to do...

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Ted, I have a bare IRS pan sitting on a rotisserie, would you like me to take some pictures? It is not a problem at all.

Lee
TedzBug

Post by TedzBug »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Ted, I have a bare IRS pan sitting on a rotisserie, would you like me to take some pictures? It is not a problem at all.

Lee
I guess ya could... but at this rate I can see where the housing is already causing an alignment issue. may not matter :(

on one side the tire clears the bumpstop by 1/2"-5/8".... the other side its pushing into the tire by almost 1/8... now if I were to pull the housing fwd on the side its pulled back on, I think that bumpstop will be into the tire another 3/8" or more.....

I'm about to stash my good parts and scrap this chassis I think..... hate this as I've held onto this car for years hoping to fix it up. oh well, there are a good many 1303's out there in pretty nice condition I can pickup come spring or summer next year and start fresh towards my german looker....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If the pan is in that good of shape a body shop with an alignment rack could pull it back into shape but I doubt if it would be cheap. The reason for the offer would be to show you how many welds there are to cut if you wanted to put another torsion tube in. It is a lot and, w/o seeing what you have, a change of pans might be the best/easiest or cheapest way to go. Dpending on the state you live in may or may not be a pain in the snook-um.

Lee