Temporary rust control

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
72square

Temporary rust control

Post by 72square »

Hi everybody,

I have just acquired a 72 squareback that had an engine fire that melted the paint down to the bare metal on the rear apron and the trunk floor and melted the top layer on the sidevents, exposing the primer layer. The PO used water to put out the fire, so there is some surface rust starting on the trunk floor and rear apron.

Naturally I would like to nip this in the bud before it gets any worse. What would you recommend as an easy way to stop or greatly retard the surface rust from getting any worse? I would like to avoid dismantling the car too much for now as I would like to get the engine in order and running (a whole other mess)before I even think about doing bodywork. When the time comes, I want to completely disassemble it and have it painted, but that won't be for a while and I want to make sure that the body will be reasonably protected for the next year or so.

BTW I am located in San Diego.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
57Drag

Post by 57Drag »

Get some spray or brush on rust converter to put on it untill you get around to the bodywork.That will keep the moisture away and keep it from geting out of control.You can get it at most auto parts stores....Donald
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

If it's just "temporary" any cheapie spray paint will cover it and help slow the decay... you then wire brush it off in the future...

T.
blackace

Post by blackace »

Just get a can of Rustoleum for a temporary quick fix.

Post by Guest »

the best way imo is to sand the area to get the loose stuff off, then use a rust converter or ospho(osphoric acid) and let this stuff do its job for about a day,then use a zinc chromate primer available in aeresol can then paint with rust oleum spray paint,did that on my bug and it has lasted 5 years no problems! good luck