Question to the paint guru's

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
69bug4me

Question to the paint guru's

Post by 69bug4me »

Hey all,

Just shot some primer on my bug and was looking for some advice or tips.Primer is PPG omni mp170 and mp175 catalyst,spraying this with a new HVLP gun.

I've painted before but always with the old style guns and used either laquer or enamel.

First thing is the epoxy primer seems pretty thick and doesn't have info on thinning.It sprayed pretty rough and ended up with a nice textured surface,not what I was looking for.I go to another spot and start some more and laid it down pretty thick and wet almost to where i thought it would run and it smoothed out alot,is this normal with epoxies or do I just need to fine tune my gun some more.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shane

Post by Guest »

Epoxy primers tend to be VERY thick and I have always thinned the ones I have used (if I didn't I would end up with the bumpy textured finish that you are experiencing). I would contact the supplier (or PPG, who makes Omni products) for some kind of tech sheet. I have found that Epoxy primers can be thinned up to something like 10%, usually with same reducer made for the brand's paint line. As far as the bumpy finish that you already have goes, I would just spend some time wet sanding it smooth with a 320 grit before you shoot any more primer. Hope this helps.