Late Model Fan

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
doc
Site Admin

Late Model Fan

Post by doc »

I am working on my DTM install and need a "late model" fan. How can I identify a late model fan? Is there an identifying dimension/measurement? Thanks.

doc
slowtwitch

Post by slowtwitch »

Doc,

The fan you need is wider than the older fans. I'm at work right now, so I can't give you the size. If you need one, I'll check the garage and see if I have one. If I do, it's yours.

pete
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Pete,

Great offer! Thanks. I actually have a couple of fans lying around, one of which may be the "late model fan" in question. Can you supply the width measurement that distinguishes the late model unit? Thanks.

doc
effvee

Fans

Post by effvee »

Hi, late modles are 28 blades verse eariler21 blade. Also I think the late model is .5 inch wider but 28 blades.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

35mm vrs 37mm blade width will identify a late from an early.

You get it installed?

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
Marc

Post by Marc »

Width of the "doghouse" fan is approximately 36.5mm (1-7/16") while the singleport type is just over 30mm (1-3/16").
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I had not seen the last three replies. Sorry. Been a little off my feed lately.

I have two fans, one clearly taller than the other as they lay on the backing plates. They are essentially the same diameter over all and essentially the same overall height. The smaller one has eight holes, evenly spaced, in the backing plate. The "taller" fan has one smaller drilled hole in an otherwise solid backing plate. Neither has marking that I can find. Both have 28 vanes.

The measurement of the smaller one, measured from side to side across a fan blade, on the outside is 1.257" or about 32mm.

The measurement of the "taller" one is 1.468" or about 37mm.

So, this taller one seems to be the one, wouldn't you agree?

Thanks again. No, Don, I do not have it installed yet, but I do have the DTM fitted up pretty close and am still collecting final parts. It's getting pretty exciting!

doc
Marc

Post by Marc »

doc wrote:So, this taller one seems to be the one, wouldn't you agree?
Yup. The one with the holes is from a 1200 (or maybe a 1300, I don't recall for sure when they deleted those).
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Super! It'll be in a DTM tomorrow!

Pete, thanks again for your offer.

doc