flat cam?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
type11969

flat cam?

Post by type11969 »

So I adjusted my valves the other day, they were a bit noisy and I discovered that they were definitely out of spec. I proceeded to drive ~75 miles the next day, and upon my return home, I found that the valves, again, were pretty noisy. I adjust my valves to a tight .005", when I re-measured them the day after the drive, a .007" feeler gauge slid through easily between all eight valves and adjusters. Does this indicate that my cam is going flat? It is occuring on all four lobes, does it ever occur that all four go flat at the same rate? I am just using regular adjusters, but I can't imagine that they would get deformed .002+ in only 75 miles of driving.

Thoughts?

-Chris
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Generally it's not an even progression of wear.. Typically just one or two zap out while the rest are OK.

What cam and lifters is it? When was it purchased?
If the adjusters are new units they suck and can wear away easily in the time you mention.

Check your oil filter for metallic material as well as the oil sump screen and plate. The remains of cams and lifters end up there typically,.
type11969

Post by type11969 »

Its a webcam that I bought probably 4+ years ago from ac.net along with some lifters from them as well (can't remember the lifter manufacturer, but I was assured they were compatible with webcam cams).

I just changed the oil, no signs of metal, but this was before this rapid change in clearance. They are new adjusters, so maybe they are just crap. They are 1.7L rockers, so this gives me a good excuse to buy some Porsche adjusters.

-Chris
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Stock adjusters and ANY performance grind don't work well together..

4 years ago would have been just prior to all "The issues' with lifters..
type11969

Post by type11969 »

Not much of a performance grind, its just a web 86! Thanks for the help, porsche adjusters it is.

-Chris
MASSIVE TYPE IV

doesn't matter. If it's not stock it needs swivel foot adjusters! I even use them with a 73 grind.

As soon as a cam swap is made the adjusters must follow.
type11969

Post by type11969 »

Well thats good to know, at least it seems very likely that I am not dealing with a flat cam!

-Chris