Oil Sump for AutoX??

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
tallqball

Oil Sump for AutoX??

Post by tallqball »

I had oil pickup issues with my 1911 when I had it in the car. It had the stock oil baffles and oil pump. I would run out of oil pressure about 3/4 the way through a 270 degree on ramp. :shock: The car handles well.

I have a 2270 which has had the baffles removed, which should help. Should I just give it a try, or is there a low profile sump that would be good insurance to add at this point?

With the approx. 300lb body off, I have 11" of clearance under the motor case. Bouncing on the pan shows the first 2" of travel as being pretty compliant. The total weight is probably 1700 lb with the steel I'm adding around the floor perimeter.

I'm working on the pan right now, and planning to get this beast on the road next month. :D
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have a sump that needs about 2.5" of clearance. It solves the issues 100% for us.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Tunacan sump for sure.

I bought a thinline type 4 one to use with that engine, but it was more work involved than I cared for.

E
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Ephry73 wrote:Tunacan sump for sure.

I bought a thinline type 4 one to use with that engine, but it was more work involved than I cared for.

E
I am casting a new style sump as we speak....
sparkmaster1

Post by sparkmaster1 »

YIKES!!! scary new Avtar!!
Owner Tim's ACVW Engine/Trans Service
huw'sspeedster

Post by huw'sspeedster »

Is this oil pressure issue likely to cause any issues with a torquer kit in my speedster on the road?or is it just competition use that sees issues?
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Before I added a deep sump to my 2270 RAT powered bug, I saw 0 psi slumps on my datalogger when taking hard corners while the vdo gauge just showed a momentary drop, but not zero. The VDO gauges (and others probably) are designed to react slowly. If you like lateral G's and have a T4, get one!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Jake,

That is really good news. Is it going to be tuna can style or more on the lines of the bottom sump ones?

I always wondered about those dry sumped systems, but too expensive for me.

E
MASSIVE TYPE IV

This is a 1.25 Qt sump... Not a Tuna can.. It bolts to the engine very firmly and is more low profile than even a tuna can..
shambly

Post by shambly »

Jake,

When do you expect this will be available as it sounds perfect for my speedster? (with only 5" ground clearance) Within the next 3-6 months?
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

I just added an accusump (Accumulator) to my autocross car. Puts oil back into the system under pressure when the system pressure drops. This is the first one ive used but after rod bearing problems before i think it is a good protection measure for a track car. The sump will help but the accumulator seems to be the standard for road race setups. I may even put one on the dry sump setup in my sand car.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Sean, where in the HELL have you been??!!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

How much harder is the accusump to implement? That may even help when braking in engines and cams.

E
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

Been busy, the llittle town I'm Mayor of landed a Huge 800 acre development project Ive been working on for 3 years now. Ive got one staff member and my wife to help out along with my business to run and a Dad who is starting to enjoy some time off. Been racing with the scca for the last couple seasons and flying some combat. I was close to your shop last spring, went to see the relatives in Dahlonga and Cuming. Left the north route out towards Gatlinburg but the wife got sick on the winding mountain roads near clevland.

The wife and boys are buggin me to take some time off and finish the buggy. It is next on the list for completion. Just need to make new pushrods for the motor yet, freshen up the trans and finish the body mods. I got a good start on it last winter then cut the end off a finger building a new paint booth for my Body man. Took it with me to the hospital and made them put it back on so all is well but i am definatly behind. Ever try arguing with a nurse over what hand your finger came off of? I was pretty certain i knew what hand it was.

Anyway, I stop in here once a week or so to keep up on things. I will be back to bugin you this fall when I get back to finishing the project.
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

Ephry73 wrote:How much harder is the accusump to implement? That may even help when braking in engines and cams.

E
Easy. you only have to "T" into the pressure side of the system. It can be mounted almost anywhere. It accumulates oil when there is pressure and puts it back into the system when the pressure drops. all you need is a good tap spot after the pump.

Do a google on accusump or canton racing products. they have some good info on them. They are also used as a pre-oiler when you go to start the engine

Think of it as a ballon, when there is pressure the ballon holds oil. when the pressuer drops, it gives it back. I picked up a couple on e-bay pretty cheap with the electric controll valve instead of the manual one.