It still runs!My first successful engine build!!!(at age 11)

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

It still runs!My first successful engine build!!!(at age 11)

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yes, its a type 1 and I built it with zero supervision when I was 11 years old!!!

Today I am waiting on some parts to come back from Cryo, so I had some time and decided to drag up my old '62 15 window deluxe bus, get it running and driving again so I can send it to a new home...

The engine in the Bus is a 1600 single port that I built on an AH case, align bored myself (I worked at a local import shop then) and fully assembled with 100% new parts other than the case. This engine has been in literally every Type 1 that I have ever driven at some point, even the plague! I used this engine as my back up when I was in high school when the old 2180 would scatter some part, i also used to pull it from one car and stick in into another sometimes 5 times per week so i could be the only kid that drove a different car to school every day!! While I was in the Marines my dad drove it in his old '73 Thing for 4 years and the oil was never changed. It has been abused by me as a teenager, neglected since day one and has an untold amount of miles on it, both on and off road, sometimes being submerged in the Chattahoochee River foras much as 3 days at a time in a buggy that caught on fire and was pushed in the river to extinguish the flames!

I bought this 15 window 8 years ago and slapped the engine in it, drove it solid for two years and then parked the Bus out back where it has been for the past 6 years (and at a buddys body shop)..

The last time it ran was almost 4 years ago.. I drained the fuel, changed the fuel hoses, threw a battery in it and she fired right up and even IDLED!! The carb is soaking now because it had a nasty float bowl and the accelerator pump was dead... This engine had my favorite parts installed from day one as I was always much more fond of single port STOCK engines than the DUAL PORTS and I still am. I used a doghouse shroud, all german tin, full vacuum advance dizzy and 30 Pict 1 (round bowl) carburetor, 4 into 1 Thunderbird header with single glass pack... In fact this engine was the one that taught me that 009s SUCK as I installed one and the engine LOST signifigant power, swapped back to the vacuum and it was like new again!

A few minutes ago I decided to do a leak down test on it while it was still warm and the worst cylinder leakage it had was on #3 (imagine that) at 11%... Thats not bad at all for an engine that hasn't received any real maintenance and was built by an 11 year old kid that had a drunk man show him how to adjust valves... Every other engine I had built to that point had been extremely unsuccessful, sometimes lasting as little as 20 seconds before seizing... The difference with this engine was the fact that I didn't build it half way from old worn out parts as I had gotten a job at the local import shop and virtually worked to buy parts only (the biggest check I ever got was 50 bucks). It would have taken me two summers of work to buy the parts for the engine if my dad hadn't agreed to match every dollar I made to go toward the parts. back then my Mom thought there was something wrong with me bacuase I didn't want toys to play with like other kids, all I wanted was old VW and engines... Thats how I ended up with 80 cars (mostly 25 dollar junkers found in back yards) and over 200 engines by the time I was 18! I guess i was a little weird- to say the least..

This engine was the one that proved to me the difference that you could make by doing the job right, paying attention and starting from scratch.

This engine was built before I had a clue about cranking an engine for oil pressure, or running it to break in the cam. Hell if i remember correctly I could not get new lifters where I worked and I believe that these were old ones that came out of maybe 2 or 3 of my old junkers out back!!!!

I have to admit that working on this old engine brought back a lot of memories and really helped me to fully see just how far one person can go if they work hard to meet their goals....

With that being said, I don't really know if I will leave the engine in the Bus, or pull it out as a keepsake. In a way it has some huge importance to me, but in other ways it's a reminder of yesterday and I try to think about tomorrow..

What do you guys think I should do?? I have thought about dynoing it just for the hell of it to see what it makes after so long and being built by an 11 year old..

So the moral of the story is the fact that good old elbow grease and some German parts can defy the odds of mechanical failure, even when built by a kid that never had one bit of formal education concerning an engine.....
Last edited by MASSIVE TYPE IV on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casey79Westfalia

Post by Casey79Westfalia »

Jake I would clean the engine up and keep the engine in your office as a piece of RAT memorabilia. I would definately dyno it to see what kind of power it has after all of these years. Jake your dedication to the sport is unbelivable. I looked long and hard to find a person that was as dedicated to there product as you and even went through two engines before finding out about you. Thank God I did! Cause my engine building days were almost over. I have become so much more confident in building an engine due to the fact that I trust the parts. WHen all of the guesswork is done you just have to follow directions basically. What is the condition of the 62 15 window in: Maybe you could have another company van that is a sleeper!!
samcat

Post by samcat »

Make the engine a keeper.

You will regret selling it sometime down the line.. Its nice to have things like this to look at and help us remember where it all started.

:)

I still have a little steam powered machine I made when I was about 11-12, with my Dad's help but did all the lathe work etc myself :D Wont be getting rid of that ever I think, One of the first things that gave me the sense of achievement that building something yourself and it working exactly as it should does.

Cya,
Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Thanks Casey. I try my best!

when i heard that ole engine fire up it sent a big chill up my spine.. I drove this engine around when I first started the shop and was so hard up for money (dumped all my savings into the shop and tools) that I had to eat peanut butter sandwiches for at least 2 meals a day for 3 weeks at a time... I remeber using it in cars with no heat in the middle of winter and driving two hours to meet a parts delivery guy to save money on shipping costs..

I am leaning towards keeping it, but if i kept everything around this place that had meaning I'd have a hellof a ot more junk than I do now! (its already out of control)
MassIVe 79 Vert

Post by MassIVe 79 Vert »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:if i kept everything around this place that had meaning I'd have a hellof a ot more junk than I do now! (its already out of control)
That's the understatement of the century! :shock:
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Hey! That was post 69!!!!!

anyway, she knows better than to gripe about my junk!!!!

I do need to clean the attic out though, I have had some engine cases up there for 15 years!
EASY RIDER

Re: It still runs!My first successful engine build!!!(at age

Post by EASY RIDER »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: sometimes 5 times per week so i could be the only kid that drove a different car to school every day!!
That must have been fun.

As far as the engine goes......You say this is your first successful engine build, Right? Today you make much of your money by designing engines that are reliable. Being that this is your most reliable to date I would say that it is very important to you and therefor be a keeper. If you live to be an old man and continue at the rate you appear to be moving at, than imagine what that engine will be worth after you are gone!! That is a thought process more about tomorrow than yesterday. Seems to be a big blessing to leave to a wfe or kid.

I wonder what the first engine Porsche had great success with would be worth?

If not for love than do it for money! However you have to think about it, just keep it.
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Thanks Casey. I try my best!

I kept everything around this place that had meaning I'd have a hellof a ot more junk than I do now! (its already out of control)
I have the same problem! I've been told it's the italian in me...

I'd say keep it, I don't think I'll ever throw away my Foundry burner I built from plumbing parts when I was 16!

Maybe a member around here could hold onto it if you have no room...
DudeAndHisBus

Post by DudeAndHisBus »

I think you should definitely keep the engine. The bus you can just give to me. :wink: :lol:
my65bug

Post by my65bug »

If it were me and cause I do crap like this, I would keep it. I would clean her up out side and all that but keep her just the way she is now. Make a nice little document that basically just said what you had typed in your first post. Maybe a pic if you have any of the cars or you working on building it.

Then take her and place her in a plastic box. Keep her all nice and safe with the note telling your story about her.

Once a year have a party or something to celebrate her birth and fire her up for a few minutes.

Something like that you should be proud of and keeping it reminds you of what you have done with your life.
66 deluxe

Post by 66 deluxe »

Jake, keep the engine mate, i still have the first engine i ever worked on and rebuilt which is a type 4 CJ 2 litre. If it wasn't for that engine i would still be working as a chef, instead of being in charge of final assembly on the PT6A line at Pratt & Whitney Australia. Cheers Damien.
RG64

Post by RG64 »

This engine was the one that proved to me the difference that you could make by doing the job right, paying attention and starting from scratch.
As humans we need reminders, with all the history you and this engine have you might as well save it and maybe one day you can teach your (future) kid how to rebuild a T-1 after he finishes learning how to drive.

when i heard that ole engine fire up it sent a big chill up my spine..

That right there should tell you it won't just be a trophy, it's a big part of your history.

Later, Rick.
914fan

Post by 914fan »

Keep the engine. It was your first. It is the longest running engine you have ever built. Yes it is a memento of the past, but where would we be without the past. How would we learn if not from our past. Keep it, and run it. Find some utilitarian use for it, like a generator. Fire it up on occassion. Just dont make it a musuem peice. I dont think the builder had that in mind when it was built. Did you? When it does finaly die, THEN place each part into a case and display it. Or wait for your kids (eventually?) and teach them on your first engine. No mater what, do what you feel is right. We can offer advice, but you need to do what is right for you.

That is cool though to find your first engine. :D
2gr8dgs

Post by 2gr8dgs »

i'm with 914fan. find a nostalgic/light duty purpose for this engine. no glass case. fire it up & remember,reflect, smile.
jeck

Post by jeck »

It doesn't sound like you are hurting for space.
Even with the pile you have built up, are you really approaching "no more space"?
Me neither, and I have more junk than a Chinese river.
I'd leave it in the bus, keep it maintained, and drive it every now and then, but definitely keep it, and keep it on the road.
You know you'd regret selling it.
"Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success."

-Oscar Wilde