The NEW LE 220 Turbo Head!!! Pics within!!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The NEW LE 220 Turbo Head!!! Pics within!!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

We'll be talking more about these on 4th Dimension Radio tonight (Thursday 17 August)!!!http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio
Listen in for more info!!

Here they are! Len has done a TON of work on these heads and they have even more flow potential left in them! These are 42X40 with the new "Turbo seal" exhaust port and matching stainless steel stubbies. This unique port was adopted from the Mighty Spyder project and it works like crazy!!

BTW-We WILL be working with these heads on several N/A engines as well, of course with different chamber shapes and port flow margins. This would be an awesome head for 2.4-2.6L daily driver engine that needs serious grunt!!

I told you that 2006 was going to be a serious Turbo development year!! Its not over yet!!!

Kudos to Len- AGAIN!!!! The bar just got raised higher.

BTW- twin plugging is optional!
Can Drive Soon

Re: The NEW LE 220 Turbo Head!!! Pics within!!

Post by Can Drive Soon »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: BTW- twin plugging is optional!
But ever so necessary..

They look good, thumbs up to len!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Not necessary.. Its an expensive upgrade for the guy thats serious about playing the game and has the ignition system to fire them!
Wally

Post by Wally »

That looks like a lot more exhaust flow has been made possible. You don't need a flowbench to see that!

What's with the dual flanges on the stubby's?

Wouldn't welding shut some of the cooling fins next to the hottest part of the head hurt in temps?

Tnx,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
66 deluxe

Post by 66 deluxe »

Awesome work Jake and Len.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The flanges float to be compatible with different exhaust systems...

The only fins that were shut were the least effective of those around the port. Only 3 of the fins that are in that are and pass through the exhaust port area were obstructed...

As the old saying goes- "you can't have your cake and eat it too"... The one challenge that we have is exhaust flow, the one thing that we don't have are temperature issues!!! So taking a tad away from an area that we have no issues with to gain the exhaust flow would be considered a worthwhile compromise..

Getting all that heat out of the exhaust port is certain to help with the heat that is soaked into the head in that area- heat that isn't soaked doesn't need to be dissipated... what it boils down to is the fact that there is a good chance that this head would run the same temp as a non welded head...

If there is one thing we don't have ANY issues with its temperature- I can't even think of the last time someone eve mentioned they were running hot..
Wally

Post by Wally »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: Getting all that heat out of the exhaust port is certain to help with the heat that is soaked into the head in that area- heat that isn't soaked doesn't need to be dissipated...
Good point Jake :wink:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Great work Len/Jake!

I just talked with Jonas N some nights ago about intakes and that shape of it :?
gaston

Post by gaston »

But this heads must be very expensive - through all this kind of handwork made. But nice to see. It looks like you und Len are designing step by step a new head. Do we see at any time a casting by LEN?

Oliver
type3

Post by type3 »

Looking good. :D

cheers,
type3
MASSIVE TYPE IV

These heads were hand ported to be used as a digital base for future CNC versions. Len wants to do one more set to use for this since he found a couple of tricks along the way.

A cylinder head like this is never going to be cheap, never expect to see that! This is because test work is also expensive and we must recoup these expenses as the product is used/ sold as well as all the cost of top quality parts and of course Len's hand work to create the first sets for digital mastering.

The cost of creating a complete new casting would take years for us to regain the expenses, this is because of alloy composition and just the cost of the casting to be molded. we could do like everyone else and make something work with little research during the process but that opens us up to liabilities similar to what closed down MSHP a few years ago when bad parts killed so many engines- simply because they made stuff and threw it onto the market with inadequate development...

If the AMC head castings become unavailable and we were forced to make our own castings we certainly would, but I do not see it happening.

The cost of true performance and the development work it takes to remain "Leading edge" will never be "Cheap". The days of our lives spent creating and testing these things are worth a premium as we give 100% at all times and I'd rather do another job than to discount my efforts-
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Wow!
Len's work really opens up the potential of these cyliinder heads.
I can see 250hp NA out of a 2.6L, no sweat.
I'd better start working on the next larger size header. :lol:

Chris Foley
MASSIVE TYPE IV

get to work.

Couple these bad boys with our roller cam program and get ready to have some serious fun!
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Thanks for the kudos guys! I put a lot of work into these bad boys. The evolution of this design is still occuring with expectations rising.

We DEFINITELY need some serious exhaust development for these high output monsters. IIRC the N.A. 2.4 MightySpyder produced 276hp on pump gas with a Tangerine designed for a 1.8 F-Prod engine. I firmly believe that with a system engineered for higher output that engine would have picked up 10% (and based on experience that is a conservative % increase prediction) which would have put the output around 315hp.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I thought that you were looking at using the square port casting flange on the exhaust because of more sealing area. Is that only when dealing w/ a non welded head for a more mild application?