68 Swing Pan or 75 IRS Pan

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MNAirHead

68 Swing Pan or 75 IRS Pan

Post by MNAirHead »

Background
About a year ago, the suggestion was made to move our cal look project to a 68 chassis to get the better gearing and BJ front end...

Now we're ready to assemble... with a new wrinkle....I just located a perfect (forgotten) 75 pan...

(Engine is a 1.7 stock w/conversion... body is a 60 ragtop)

Question
68 swing... or 75 IRS - which pan & why
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

what are you doing with the car?? straight line driving? want handling?
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Mnairhead go irs rearend.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Good question... the details...

We're airbagging the front... it's one that will see random use on speed limit country paved roads... weekend driving.

Jake... I'm sure you've forgot... you kindly suggested to put the loot into cooling and exhaust... have your A1/Magnaflow.. Del FRd... DTM...

Watching your conversion video wasn't quite clear the ultimate years - I can understand why you wouldn't make this type of commitment with the all the variables.

I swear this thing is getting on the road sooner or later.

T.
Rescue912

Post by Rescue912 »

MNAirHead wrote:it's one that will see random use on speed limit country paved roads
Country roads = curves so I would go IRS.
tuna

Post by tuna »

Passatman wrote:Mnairhead go irs rearend.
It all depends on what you intend on doing with the car. IRS is great at many things, but it's not perfect. For a Cal-Look car, swingaxle is actually the preferred setup for most people.

For someone like me, it doesn't matter. I don't drive the curvies, pushing the limits in the corners, but I've never seen a benefit of the IRS. I like to drive fast from a stoplight and drive on the freeway, that's it. I'm a cruiser. :-)

So the question is, how does he intend on driving the car?

Tuna
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

tuna wrote:So the question is, how does he intend on driving the car?

Tuna
Like an old lady...

Update... I just found out that the car I was going to dismantle is a rare (in the US) model 110... guess this helps it.

Thanks...