Type 4's out in force at the Southeast Bugfair!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Type 4's out in force at the Southeast Bugfair!

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

WOW!
I remember a few years ago when there was not even a single Type 4 conversion at this show, this time around we had 5 total conversions as well as two more in the corral that are removing their Type 1 engines over the winter for MassIVe power!

"Herbie X" was on hand and it's driver, Dave Worrell (marekv8) made the trip from Baton Rouge to Toccoa georgia at an AVERAGE speed of 80+ MPH! Top speed was 100 in some power bursts. Dave is one of my favorite customers because he drives the HELL out of his car and puts the 2270 EFI engine and B tranny with Quaiffe diff to very good use! Thanks for making the trip to the show, Dave and itb was very good to meet you. Thanks to Dave at DTM Engineering for providing an excellent installation of the engine/gearbox that when coupled with my power plant was able to give "Herbie X" the ability to drive 10 hours at high speed without a single issue!

Also on hand was another STF member's (champagne superbeetle)recently converted German Look Super Beetle. DTM Engineering had just finished the installation of his 256cc engine with DTM, B tranny and the works on Thursday and he took a trip down to pick it up, go to the show and then drive home. All I can say is that Dave and crew did a hell of a job on the install and the smile on the customers face was so big all weekend that his cheeks have got to be sore! He drove the car all the way back home to Maryland and loved every minute of the trip. This guy is sure to have an excellent testimonial!

Dean Jones also had his freshly finished (3 AM yesterday morning!!) 79 vert on hand as well sporting it's 2056cc engine that we dynoed on Friday for him. Dean is a local guy that has been a friend of mine for years, he did a great job on his first Type 4 engine build, based on one of my 2056cc kits. His wife will drive this car daily and with 118HP and 130 b/ft of torque (absolutely flat torque curve!!) she'll certainly love it! Thats a sweet car for sure and a great representative for Type 4 power!

I also had thre MassIVe 550 Spyder in attendance and it got a tone of attention, Beth and I took it for a 100+ MPH hole shot out the front gate of the show and I think she got a little concerned!

Big thanks to Dave and Kevin at DTM Engineering for helping get a couple of cars to the show safely and for all they do to help my customers get the power I provide to the ground!

We'll be at the 10th annual show next year with a very special engine blow- I have something planned that will really be over the top! Great show, great people and a great atmosphere!
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Here are a couple pics posted at Germanlook

A couple of recent converts

And their powerplants both 2056, both very close combinations.
here is Dean's vert with a 2056 RAT engine kit combo
This one belongs to champagne superbeetle, its a 2056 he bought off the samba that was built from primarily RAT 2056 parts. He is happy as HELL with it!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/w ... oa_065.jpg
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

It was a great line-up of cars in the Raby area. I'm proud to have played a part in it. I spoke to Dennis (71 Super with a fresh 2056 conversion) as he was driving home and he was still grinning. His jaws have got to be killing him by now. :lol:
champagne superbeetle

Post by champagne superbeetle »

Got back to Crab Town yesterday mid-afternoon. Still smiling. :lol:

Dave (NO_H2O) and his buddy, Kevin, did a fantastic job. I will nab my daughter's camera for a more complete photo shoot -- maybe this weekend. They installed access panels in the engine bay that are just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to the attention to detail that was performed. Until the photo shoot, here's a quick recap ...

Everyone was real cool -- making my visit an enjoyable one. And that is saying a lot. I don't typically travel well to begin with. Buying an engine sight unseen is against my general nature and has an element of stress with me. Not only can I not offer enough thanks for the work that was performed but also for all of the advice Dave, Jake and others gave along the way. I'm sure some of it probably seemed like hand-holding at times but no one was ever put off by my countless questions.

Dave even called twice during my journey home wanting to know everything. That meant a lot to me.

My car got a Top 40 award at the Toccoa show. Dave tried to convince me it was because I waxed the thing but I'm not stupid. Most of the show-goers were staring at his handywork.

The trip home had some funny events. For the most part, I wanted to keep running at a steady 65-70 MPH. The 2056 handled that between yawns. What we east coasters would call mountains, the 2056 treated like a mole hills.

When I drove the stocker to Georgia, my maintained speed of 60-65 would trail downwards if I stopped paying attention. Driving back, my speed would pick up from 65-70 if I wasn't careful.

Traffic conditions sometimes dictated for me to pick it up intentionally. Almost every time it happened, someone wanted to get even as if how dare I drive a li'l ol' Beetle at 85 and pass them. Once I got around the crowd, I reminded myself I didn't want to flog the new machine.

The funny thing was most of the people who were offended by me were very atypical for wanting a race. There were older folks -- yes, older than me -- pick-up trucks, minivans, and even a would-be 18-wheeler (trailerless). Once in Virginia, I shadowed behind the passer just to let him know it was no fluke and to let him take the lead on any speeding tickets. As I got closer to home, I took roads I knew that allowed for a more entertaining ride.

The truth is I have no idea what the limits might be. It is also mind boggling to think my Type IV was probably the weak sister of the bunch at Toccoa. What I do know is this set-up is exactly what I was looking for -- very, very driveable; plenty of oomph to disregard hills and slow pokes as obstacles; reasonable fuel economy; effortless at legal speed limits; no weezing when I want to kick it; no running out of pull when the RPM's get elevated; and fun, fun, fun.

Did I mention I'm still smiling? :D
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Excellent testimonial!

Its always our goal to make customers smile, but I don't really see how you kept smiling for so long!

That engine should provide years of transportation and entertainment, its a true dual purpose purchase!
marekv8

Post by marekv8 »

Jake-- I'm just in from Chicago, the second part of my journey. Thanks for your hospitality and conversation during the show, it was great to finally meet you in person. My Type 4 odyssey finally came to an end when I dropped ol' Herbie off for the DTM Engineers Dave and Kevin to take it to the next level-- along with your assistance. The final tally was 844 miles with a total trip average of 72.1 mph, with absolutely no mechanical difficulties-- and no speeding tickets. Although I passed 13 troopers over the course of the trip at superlegal speeds, I think the idea of a goofy Herbie going that fast was just too weird for them to believe.

Please keep the advancements coming.

Regards, Dave
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Dave, SWEET!

Glad to hear the entire journey was a good one!

Yeah, when you passed Beth and I on the way to the show you had to be running 90+ and I knew it was you when I saw Herbie sporting billet hubs!
Those troopers were busing ass up the road, glad you got in under the radar!

Yep, ole Herbie will be getting the newest heads and tricks soon.. Advancements are continuing to be developed and you'll always be #1 on the list when they come out!

Now I am ready to get HXII started... I'll havesome numbers to you in a few days..

Superlegal speeds are cool!
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

Dennis,, Glad to hear your trip home was a good one. That combo should give you years of great service. Kevin and I are glad we could be of service to you. Detailed personal service and big smiles are our focus.
Dave, It was great to see you again and it is great to have Herbie X in the shop for more fun. :wink:
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

Jake, I was looking at the pic of the red 'vert, and noticed something about the DTM. It looks like the normal air hose going to the oil cooler is missing, and looks like the spark plug holes are in a weird location (almost like a bic motor :lol:). I didn't look at it that close at the show, that line x coating distracted me from whats really under there (glad I took pic's :lol: )
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

wrenchnride247 wrote:Jake, I was looking at the pic of the red 'vert, and noticed something about the DTM. It looks like the normal air hose going to the oil cooler is missing, and looks like the spark plug holes are in a weird location (almost like a bic motor :lol:). I didn't look at it that close at the show, that line x coating distracted me from whats really under there (glad I took pic's :lol: )
Don't know about the cooler hose, maybe it's Jakes new "914" style DTM, but I am willing to bet the heads have the superior 914 2.0 plug location.........beautiful even in small pics.......
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The owner of the red car modified the shroud himself for the air hose to better fit his arrangement... He has relocated spark plugs so their angles are like a Type 1 engine..

The shroud and most of the car is coated with Line X, he and his brother own the local Line X shop and we/they take full advantage of the capabilities! Beth's car is a prime example of their work!
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

You forgot about the trailer on the PINZ :lol:
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Yep.. It's got a good helping of Line X, as well as the entire cargo area in the back of the Pinz...