Type 4 conversion

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Kenlay

Type 4 conversion

Post by Kenlay »

I have a Type 4(bus engine) 2.0L with a CV case and I shall try to do a type 1 conversion.

I wonder if it is problem to do the machining of the breather chimney to fit the alternator stand if I choose Type 4 DTM basic kit for conversion?

Where can I find a drawing or the measure of the machining of the breather chimney? :(
RG64

Post by RG64 »

Ken, you can probably pick up a good case for $50 in a swap meet, you'll spend more than that on having it machined correctly.

Later, Rick.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yep.
Working with vanagon cases is horrible for a conversion, not to mention they are the worst cases that we find tolerance wise..
Kenlay

T4 conversion

Post by Kenlay »

I wonder if the original rotating assembly, the cylinders and pistons and cylinder heads are the same for both the CV and GE cases.

Is it only the beather chimney that differ these cases or ?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Absolutely.
Find another case and transplant the internals.

Done.
Kenlay

Post by Kenlay »

I have found another case GE, is this a good case for conversion to type 1 or ?

If I do an installation with the T4 DTM basic kit is this a good kit without vibration noise or?

Give this kit a good temperature distribution for both cylinders/head and oil cooler ?

Can you close the decklid with this installation?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

GE cases are fine, thorough inspection is necessary since they come from overworked buses..