dtm & csp alloy backing plate problem

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
shawn63deluxe

dtm & csp alloy backing plate problem

Post by shawn63deluxe »

I have fitted an alloy csp generator backing plate to my type4 dtm shroud but have hit a problem. The welded fan rubs on the inside of the shroud (somewhere) when the generator is bolted up right in relation to the bottom pulley. I am still using the other large plate that comes with the standard three part backing kit behine the alloy one, is this right? I see some pics of it being used and some not, the fan is spaced correctly on the shaft of the generator too with the rear washer only just being able to locate on the flats as per the instructions. It appears to be well out of square in the shroud when looking from behind, is this ok???

MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Have you watched the DTM video?? If so the fan spacing was addressed as well as the stack up.

I have limited time to answer now as I am at the hospital with my dad.. I can address the remedy later.
shawn63deluxe

Post by shawn63deluxe »

Hi Jake, I have watched the video twice and have set the fan as far back as possible like you have said. The main problem I have is the generator when bolted up to the bolted down shroud is very out of square with the bottom pulley, when I tug the generator around to square it up with the bottom pulley thats when the fan rubs like crazy inside and protrudes out of the back of the fan like the photo :?
kansas buggy

Post by kansas buggy »

Had the same issue with my DTM. What I did to cure it was first I fitted just the plate into the DTM. What I found was a very slight condition which had the circle for the plate to fit in verses the circle for the mounting bolts not concentric. I did a small amount of clearincing on both the plate and the DTM to get a fit with the plate square to the DTM. This then squared up the plate to DTM fit and made the fan fit square in the hole. No more rubbing.

Hope this helps

Roy
kansas buggy

Post by kansas buggy »

Just noticed somthing. Are you using just the cast plate. I think I can see somthing between the plate and the DTM. Mine has nothing between the cast plate and the DTM.

PM me (we can exchange phone #'s) if you have further questions about my install.
shawn63deluxe

Post by shawn63deluxe »

Roy, thanks a million! you have helped me realise the cause of my fan rubbing issue. I am using a German csp cast alloy backing plate which does not have the two small central mounting holes to bolt it to the alternator, it simply sits over the alt body and looks nice :roll: you still have to use the other 2 standard backing plate bits to bolt the alt to the shroud and that is where my rubbing is happening.
An order for one of Jakes cast backing plates is the cure thanks to your info :wink:
kansas buggy

Post by kansas buggy »

I also got mine from Jake. It only required a minimal amount of fitting to make it work.

Keep us posted on the build/install.

Roy
shawn63deluxe

Post by shawn63deluxe »

kansas buggy wrote:I also got mine from Jake. It only required a minimal amount of fitting to make it work.

Keep us posted on the build/install.

Roy
Will do, cheers :wink: