KEP Flywheel bolts for T4

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
Brad Roberts

KEP Flywheel bolts for T4

Post by Brad Roberts »

Hey gang,

what is the torque value (if different from stock) on the Super HD flywheel bolts #10632 (Jakes part number)

I'm a little confused with these?? They dont have the serrations on the head of the bolt like the stockers do (to dig into the locking plate)

What gives?

Help. Cant install engine into car until flywheel is secured... :)

B
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I torque them to 90 lbs and use blue loctite to secure them. The locking plate is not used with these (it can be, but does no good at all.)

I sneak up on the 90 pound torque in 15 pound intervals starting at 20 pounds working a star pattern..

Glad to see you are almost finished :-)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Brad,

I don't know exactly which flywheel bolts you got from KEP, but mine were a little longer than stock. On some flywheels this can cause premature (what the english word for it?) 'stopping' before the end of the inner thread in the crank is reached. Hope you understand :?
Be carefull when you also leave the locking plate out, as this will cause the bolt to recess even further into the crank..

besides, I like the HD Ahnendorp bolts much better as those also have a wider, non-threaded stem (which needs the flywheel holes to be reamed a tiny bit) which fits than exactly in the flywheel holes.
I asume Jakes HD bolts may be similar in design as the BAS' and then you can better buys jakes than use the KEP bolts imo

greets,
Walter
Last edited by Wally on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I typically don't find the length problem an issue with 914 flywheels (he is building a 914 engine) because the flywheels are thicker by .125 than a Bus flywheel.

It is a good thing to check, for sure. Great point wally..
Cloudbuster

Post by Cloudbuster »

What keeps the felt washer in place if the lock plate is not used?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Superglue works well if you want to use the washer... We seldom do because it serves little purpose..
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Thanks to everyone who replied!!

I have known about the "thinner" Bus flywheels since 1984 or so when I helped my dad install a T4 in a sand rail (1911 engine with dual 40 Dells)

I'll probably go ahead and use the lockplate (just to hold the felt washer in) It helps keep the small amount of grease we use in the pilot bearing.. in the pilot bearing and not on the clutch disc.

Excellent. The engine and trans will go into the car tonight!!

B