DTM in California

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
dave greiner

DTM in California

Post by dave greiner »

I just received a new type-1 DTM from Jake. we're putting it on a 2276cc motor that is going into a VW Thing, The black finish looks good, but we might paint it in a different color to match the car. If anyone in southern california wants to see one in person they can stop by my shop anytime. Proformance Motoring [.com] in the city of Orange. 714-538-5979 Dave
suntour

Post by suntour »

are you open around next week? I would really like to see the DTM and how it fits into a thing. I am planning to do a Type IV conversion for my Thing in the first month of 2005.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Dave, glad you liked it.

Call me before you install it and I will give you a couple of tips.

BTW, Dave has a TYPE I DTM, not a Type IV version... The Type IV version is totally different in every aspect physically. The Type IV version fits into a stock bodied things with just millimeters of clearance, but it does fit. I have done that conversion atleast 20 times myself, even to my own car with Joe's DTM a few years ago.
suntour

Post by suntour »

Barely clear huh? Hmmm.

The engine compartment on my Thing is a bit dinged up, could be a problem?.
So that leaves me with a different question, if I put a 3? body lift I will have the extra height clearance but how do you seal the lower portion of the engine compartment? I assume it absolutely has to be sealed to keep the exhaust gasses and other road / weather crap out of the engine compartment. Do I have to fab up some custom sheet metal down there?

And yes Jake, I realize you?re out until Tuesday, just thought I should ask now while I am thinking about it. And yes I will be calling you in January to get on the waiting list for a new engine (or possible kit, I wont make up my mind until I talk to you about it.)
factman

Post by factman »

i saw what looked like a TIV DTM with holes for the 2.0 plug locations at the Vegas BUG-IN. it looked really sharp and i liked all the duct work inside it. it was nice to see one in person. does anyone know whos that was?

SAM
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

suntour wrote:Barely clear huh? Hmmm.

The engine compartment on my Thing is a bit dinged up, could be a problem?.
So that leaves me with a different question, if I put a 3? body lift I will have the extra height clearance but how do you seal the lower portion of the engine compartment? I assume it absolutely has to be sealed to keep the exhaust gasses and other road / weather crap out of the engine compartment. Do I have to fab up some custom sheet metal down there?
You could talk to "Mattt" on the Thing181 or Off-Road forum, his Thing has a body lift and maybe he could give you some pointers.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
suntour

Post by suntour »

I have seen pictures of Matts Thing. He uses a type IV engine with the stock cooling shrouds and a 3" lift along with a trans from a 914. (I think he has it for sale if I am not mistaken.) Anyway, I was looking along the lines of a DTM cooling setup. So I am wondering that if you have a 3" body lift do you need to seal the engine compartment or doest it work along the lines of a Baja setup and just sucks air from everywhere. Personally I am concerned that 3" gap in the lower area would only promote fresh air being sucked from the exhaust area and be detrimental to the engines cooling.

On the same note though, I have been running a type I 1776 for ten years without the small piece of tin behind the pulley. (Don?t ask, it?s a long story and three shredded aluminum pulleys later I just took the damn thing out and never looked back.) I do notice a slight increase in engine temps because of this but nothing that has over heated until two weeks ago when the fan belt broke, and this is with Street Eliminator heads too.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Sun tour,
You can fabricate either an aluminum, or rubber boot to make up the 3" difference.

I decided to do a full suspension lift on my Thing and this was one determinimg factor for that decision. Not to mention that big tires do you no good unless you have extra ground clearance in the center of the car..