RAT Engine management systems.. Update

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

RAT Engine management systems.. Update

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The past week since I decided to equip all my engines with EFI has been very busy. Charles and I have decided on a few set ups and worked with two companies that are willing to set up the electronics especially for us, especially for the TIV engine!

It appears that our default system will be based on SDS electronics. I chose this system because it does not require a laptop, it has knock sensing capability and will operate closed loop. I have ordered three sets of electronics initially and one will be used on my 914, one used on Charles' early 912 engine and the other to a willing customer that wants to be the first to get the system on his RAT engine.

We are working the kits up now and I should have mine installed in the 914 in 3-4 weeks. This default system will only be sold as a stand alone FI system and will not incorporate direct fire or any other nifty bells and whistles.

The second system will be Autronic SMC. This system is more complex and will be saved for those with experience with engines and etc that want absolute and total control of their engines fuel and ignition systems. This system has an autotune feature that is very nice but the price is much more than the default system.

My Blue Bug will have the Autronic system and the 914 will be set up with the SDS based system both by the end of April.

It appears that my decision of strictly FI for RAT engines is welcome. I called 80% of my customers already entered into my "line" today and all but one of them was VERY happy to hear the news. I am hoping that with the vast amount of the systems we will be using we can get pricing down, increase awareness of the benefits of EFI on modern TIV engines and create a ton of data to help others with their TIV EFI experience.

As for Kit Carlson. We are still waiting for kits from Dave but I cannot wait any longer. I have to get my EFI program going now or we will seriously be out behind schedule on a ton of engines.
samcat

Post by samcat »

Nice one Jake!!

Good to have choices, and being able to offer 3 different efi systems (once Kit Carlson is ready) is a very good thing. People like to have choice :)

Cya,
Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
michaelmoo

Post by michaelmoo »

Will either system be offered with the engine kits and can it look stock?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

It won't look very stock unless you are running a very small engine and using all stock runners, plenum and etc.

At this point it will not be available with kits or individually, only with pedigree engines.
vrsechslvr

Post by vrsechslvr »

Not to be an ass or anything, but why did you decide on those two systems?
And what models on each system will you be testing?

I look forward to your test results.

Thanks
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The folks at SDS are working with us to set up the systems per our specs, especially for the TIV engine.

I ordered 3 systems yesterday to start with. One of them is slotted for my 914, one for a customer's 2270 and the other for Charles' early but modern 912 Big Bore engine..

By the end of April all these will be installed.

Now turning back now!
Mueller

Post by Mueller »

thought I posted this...hmmmm???

Jake:

Good timing on the SDS, while riding in the tow truck today after my 914 died on me again, I was thinking about the SDS or the Haltech, I like the idea of the pendant for tuning :)

So my question is:

EM-4 D= fuel only??
or
EM-4 E/MSD = fuel and ignition??...I called to see if this will work with my Mallory HyFire CDI box, I'm thinking it should, but no answer.

How much difference in driveability will I gain using the EM-4 E/MSD with the programmable ignition verses just using the mechanical advance Mallory dizzy by itself?

Thanks,

Mike
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Jake -- I'm interested in adding FI to mine. Datalogger is done, yours is 95%.
davygrvy

Post by davygrvy »

Bill,

When's the sac Bug show this year? Around June time? We going to do a head-to-head drag or what? :)
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Bill, Maybe we can do some trading for the balance of what I owe you for building my logger :-)

I am offering this system as fuel only 100% stand alone from the ignition. This way it will simplify tuning-we'll stick with a conventional mallory for spark duties.
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Dave-memorial day weekend, see you there...
Jake-let's talk
Poor Realist

Post by Poor Realist »

Ah, crap. How about old pedigree engines? It'll sure beat me trying to piece meal something like a megasquirt.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Realist,
Sure you can add it...
I don't plan on selling kits for a good while, at least until we have a few dozen maps recorded.
Mueller

Post by Mueller »

[quote="Poor Realist"]Ah, crap. How about old pedigree engines? It'll sure beat me trying to piece meal something like a megasquirt.[/quote]

I'm selling my MS setup with EDIS crankfire for the SDS system, it'll be nice to have something "professionally" assembled with a warrenty :)

the hardest part will be the waiting for it to arrive so I can jump right in and install it :D

I was reading another site about the SDS system, guy claims on his datsun, drove home at 6:30 in the evening, started the SDS install as soon as he got home, had a fully operational and running SDS system by 9:30 the same night......sounds pretty darn easy to me !!!!
Poor Realist

Post by Poor Realist »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Realist,
Sure you can add it...
I don't plan on selling kits for a good while, at least until we have a few dozen maps recorded.
Right on! As my car is not my car and on a boat and I'll be unemployed and employed soon.... It's going to be a while, again. It was fun when it was together.

Full story:
http://tunacan.net/forum/simpleforum_pr ... 1111089841

ttyl...