garage sitting creaper with tool box built in

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.

Moderator: tryout

Ol'fogasaurus

garage sitting creaper with tool box built in

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:27 pm

http://www.kmart.com/performance-tool-c ... SKIP_LEVEL

I saw this on the "Black Friday" sale ads from Kmart. I really like the idea of it but the price is up there compared to the adjustable height stool I now use (20. Actually I have three sitting stools w/wheels (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... lt?q=stool mine is a different brand but basically the same stool) with one being a step-stool and the other one being a Harley saddle type that I don't use when welding or grinding) which, as soon as I sit on it at the upper most setting (19 1/2" off the floor) the seat drops down several inches.

Right now I am playing with the idea of building my own "creeper" as I have a three drawer tool box w/opening lid that I could use as it isn't really being used other than for some stored things that could be moved or gotten rid of (I need to clean house and that is for sure). The box closed measures 12" high, 20 1/2 wide and 9 1/2" deep (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-drawer ... ?rrec=true it is on sale now for $40).

As I said, my current stool seat, at max rise is 19 1/2"; the Sear's tool box sits at 12" which gives me about 6 1/2 inches to play with. Going with a caster like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-x-3 ... 90997.html has a total height of 5" (I'm not sure that is to the top of the stud or to the landing. The wheel assy is good for 100#s so at 4 corners it's 400#s and I am not that heavy... yet!) which adding the frame work and seat pad could end up giving me a sitting height of about 5 1/2" to 7" or more/less depending on the caster's mounting height and just how I tackle this design.

Right now I don't have any scrap laying around that will work for this but a guesstimate for the frame would be in the $20 range, give or take, and the wheels would be ~$20. Upholstery would amount to the material, foam and plywood and if the seat sits on the frame or is hinged to tip the seat up to access the upper part of the tool box (will have to accommodate the lid of the box tilting up to access the tray. I could remove the lid and drawer locking mechanism but right now I don't think so).

If anyone is interested I can post on this otherwise, when and if I ever get it done I will post pictures.

Piledriver

Re: garage sitting creaper with tool box built in

Post by Piledriver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:25 am

Neat.

Walmart has the WEN version of that PT creeper at the top link for $58 with free shipping.

I might have to pour some concrete.
Right now I would need big rubber pneumatic tires to run over gravel.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks Pile.

Back home now cleaning up damage from the big winter storm winds that came in while we were in AZ. I lost several sections fence last year and the year before but this year it was the long gate half for the MH to sit behind (ass'n. rules) so this time it will be a pipe gate not a 12 X 12 post on one end that rots out because the concrete was not done right :roll: . The guy did a nice fence (one of the builder's young guys who wanted to go into the fence building business) but forgot about sloping the concrete to drain away from the posts and not puddle.

Anyway, I have been thinking about this creeper the whole time I was outt'a here and I think I have some mods I want to make. The same tool box at Sears, when on sale, is `$60 so w/o (yet) looking at what Wally World has it might be a good deal and I could modify it to suit me. We were there yesterday but I did not go down to that end of the store... but I will for sure!

Where the two ends (wings) lay down I am thinking about putting magnetic trays in there. Put the small stuff in as you remove them and when you are not using the "wings" the mag trays could be used to hold them in a folded up position. Also, in the back get a magnetic strip to keep the tools off the deck (I come from a Navy town so I still speak Marine at times), out of the way and dry.

To be silly... you could also put a hitch on it to tow around a trailer for other things/parts :D (giggle).

Thanks again.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:39 pm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garage-Glide ... t/48705660

This is the Walmart unit. I went to my local Walmart and they did not have it nor knew anything about it.

I wanted to check some things like the gauge of material and how the tool box was located in the unit (does the tool box lid fold back after pulling up the seat pad for example).

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:09 pm

On line sale merchandise is about 500% more items than local stores... All the big box stores are that way most just drop ship...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... Chest+Seat

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Thank Dale. When I stopped in at Wally World the guy there said to go on line to see if it was available, then I could buy it on line and have it shipped to the store for pickup. The guy was also impressed (curious?) when I described it to him.

Mostly I was hoping to see the construction and materials before I made the decision of buy or make. If I make one then two more will have to be done for family... maybe!

I really do like the ideas and basic designs of it as constant getting up and down to get stuff all the time or having to pick stuff up off the floor all the time sure gets tiring now days.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Te PT unit is sold by oriellys and many others
The WEN unit Home depot etc
They are probably same other than paint/labels, by the same lady in China.

Walmart will deliver to your house for that price lately, not just a store like before.
Walmarts recently decided to push online sales/home delivery seriously trying to gain on Amazon.
I wish them luck.. They might beat Amazon on price, Amazons prices are frequently 2X normal retail.

I find Amazon a great place to shop but I rarely buy anything there as the price is usually out there.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Whoof!

I live reasonably close to a Home Despot (no insult intended HD)...I wonder....

I still want to see before I jump and all that is included. Probably more fun to build though and the trailer too 😁.

Cleaned up a single letter typo (closet/close) that the auto edit portion of my tablet added then refused to let me undo.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:32 pm

It may be available online only, call ahead unless you need something else of course...

Home Depots website is pretty good about their inventory in stores showing up online as available in-store or not, they have a filter for that, and easy returns.