Welding Myth? - Flux Core w/Argon?

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
theKbStockpiler

Re: Welding Myth? - Flux Core w/Argon?

Post by theKbStockpiler »

Flux-core has deeper penetration and is better for windy environments ,wire speed has a huge threshold and still works fine but is harder to see the puddle and the puddle sets faster than solid core. Dual-shield is not a hacker technique like using standard flux core and argon/mix being the same for solid core. :wink: I think the wire is specialized if I remember correctly.
Super beetle with attitude
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

IF you want deeper penetration use CO2 exclusively.... It had better penetration then C25/A75, just not as pretty....

Also informative "lesson"...

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson7_1.htm

And PRAXAIR still sells Bottles.....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Chris4747

Post by Chris4747 »

the flux is the shielding gas for flux-core and needs no other sheild gas it really depends on the tencil strength of the filler wire and the skill of the welder
been a welder fabrocator for 23 years ,myself ,i wouldnt hit a dog in the but with flux-core wire but it is convieneint for a home garage project .Tig is cleaner more easily controled and looks better .
The TM770 flux core wire used for mild steel app(in a comercial enviroment ) does need a 75/25 argon carbondioxide sheilding gas I use this wire almost every day at work .It is used a lot in big ships and runs very well on about 23 volt 150 amp (does not perform well on lower settings)
If you are looking for a cheap way to weld .062 (16ga) or less you can try a 6010 stick I use this to weld all thin gauge metal ,(unless you are an exp welder this will take a lot of practice)
Remember practice makes for perfect work
instant gratification by hard work and determination granted by GODS hands
Chris4747

Re:

Post by Chris4747 »

All_talk wrote:Fine ignore what I say, lots of people do. :P Never mind that I know what I’m talking about (in this case at least, lol). I’ve been a Mechanical Design Engineer for almost 15 years and have worked with professional welders and fabricators the entire time, and I promise you Dual Shield welding is a common practice. It is typical used with heavier plate, tube, I-beam and channel. Here’s a bit of text from this page…

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/education/k ... Market.cfm

"...For those applications where critical weldments are required such as the ship building industry, the Dual Shield II Ultra Series provides low spatter, low fume and also exhibits extremely good mechanical properties along with low diffusible hydrogen levels. ESAB’s latest innovation for the welding fabricator is Dual Shield 70 Ultra Plus. Specifically designed for optimized performance with high argon shielding gases..."

Is dual shield common in automotive work, I doubt it. Would it even be useful in automotive work, maybe not. But does it exist, yep, and its used in ways just as described by the boat builder man.

Gary

Disclaimer: No attitude, anger, disrespect or personal attack is expressed or implied by these comments… I’m just feeling like a know-it-all today (same as any day). :)
instant gratification by hard work and determination granted by GODS hands
digger

Post by digger »

you can't run both at the same time.flux core wire runs on reverse polarity of argon solid wire.
AirCool

Post by AirCool »

I know this is an old thread, but you most certainly can use flux cored wire with shielding gas. But it isn't the same wire you usually use, it is a particular type designed for dual-shield use. The most common use is indeed in shipbuilding, where I believe it is used for good penetration on the very thick steel plates without warping.

And BTW - CO2 is cheap and gives good penetration, but also tends to put too much carbon into the metal which can make the welds weak.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I wonder if helium shielding gas would do for MIG what it does for TIG...?
(very deep penetration, you can TIG aluminum with helium DCEP)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Try this.....with non-flux core in a mig welder http://www.praxair.com/gases/gas-mixtur ... elding-gas

Stargon works excellently it is Argon/Co2/ and a small amount of Oxygen. The Oxygen allows a little better weld penetration at lowerr voltage without getting exessive carbon into the weld like straight C02.

Good article on Stargon and other gasses. http://www.fsmdirect.com/welding/consum ... as-mixture

Ray