welding helmets

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
fusername

welding helmets

Post by fusername »

Hey guys, I am looking around for a welder, have finnaly settled on the first used name brand 110 that shows up on my local craigslist and includes a tank. So now I need to look at helmets, in case my welder doesn't include one. Well I never expected to afford auto darkening, but ebay is showing these to be in the 40-50 range. Now are these all cheap brands that fit poorly and dont work reliably, or are they worth the money? Anybrands to avoid, etc.
I am sure I could solve all this searching if one of you just mailed me your spare helmet, but since thats not gonna happen, what are your recomendations. Cheap auto darkening worth the cash, or just stick with standard masks?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
bt

Post by bt »

I use a cheap one($60.) from Harbor freight. I have not had a problem with it for 3yrs.
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

I absolutely hated welding helmets and handhelds for years, including auto darkening pro stuff.

Then I had a chance to use an Euro mask, and I was SOLD! I love those things! They have a dark strip right infront of your eyes, but around it you have a large yellow see-through section that offers good visibility, and blocks UV light. All you need to do is raise or lower your head a little, or move the dark visor out of your way to "switch" from black glass to "sunglasses".
I developed a habit of wearing the dark visor pretty high, so I could just move my head slightly and look at what I'm doing from below the dark, no hands needed.
Hard to explain how awesome they are, but they aren't cheap.

Jan
fusername

Post by fusername »

That thing does sound awsome. Maybe if you took a batt powered self darking, took out the batteries, and then cut a strip out of a normal helmet and put it in the center of the window? convoluted yes, but technically feasable.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
brian rogers

Post by brian rogers »

If you value your eyes and the use of them down the road, DON'T SKIMP on your protection for your eyes. I use a Jackson auto dark that adjusts shades so I can use it for stick, TIG, Mig and use with a plasma cutter. Look for a hood that uses dual sensores that prevent shadowing and exposes your eyes. The import crap won't prevent a flash when you inadvertantly shadow the sensor. I like my eyes and will protect them with good gear.
i1uhrace

Post by i1uhrace »

I have 2 hoods I use. I the jackson for most of my welding and a Hornell Speedglass with filtered fresh air similar to this model for galvenized, dual shield or flux core wire.
Tinnerdude1

Re: welding helmets

Post by Tinnerdude1 »

For you new to welding do not go cheap on a welding helmet. It does not take long for the old eyes to start feeling like you just had a hand full of sand thrown in them if you get flash burn. If you ever get flash burn try putting the juice of a potato in them, it helps believe me, I've welded for the last 20 years. Do not buy the Optrel line of helmets, they look good and work great but only last for about 4 to 5 years and they cost about $350. I have two of them, one works and the other quick about 6 months ago and it is only 5 years old. There is nothing you can do to fix them and the company will not do anything about them either. My Speedygalss is 14 years old and still works like new.
Tom in PA

Post by Tom in PA »

I have a speedglass. I like it. It could use a bit longer or narrower sides to keep ambient light out of the helmet at times.
I also have a Matco (Jackson). I like the way it keeps out ambient light but it's an older model with a standard size auto darkening lens (2x4.5). Don't like that as much (although I do need to replace the lens covers currently). I think the speedglass just has me spoiled.
I wouldn't try to save money on my welding helmet. You can probably find a good used one fairly cheap.
I know someone that was selling a lincoln mig with bottle and stand for 400 or so. I don't recall if it's 110 or 220 though. It's in PA, not quite local.

Tom
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

I have the cheapest harbor freight auto darkening hood they have, I have had it for 3 years. I use it at work all the time and it still works great......no flash burn yet!!!
bugdust69

Post by bugdust69 »

I have two of the Jackson EQC 3n1's (two different generations) and my newest is a Lincoln Viking Chip Foose edition. All are excellent hoods.
fusername

Post by fusername »

Well it is 5 years later and I now have 5 helmets, only bought 3 of em, the rest found me or came w/ equipt. The best bang for the buck so far has been an auto dark helmet from harbor freight on sale for very short money, maybe 35? and a lincoln brand headband, I think 15 bucks. Super comfortable, and compltly transformed the HF helmet from clunky and akward to perfect. I never use any of the other helmets, even my HD lincoln.

aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I have a Speedglas and love it. Craigslist and pawn shops are your friends. . .
fusername

Post by fusername »

Ok so work bought me a brand new miller mask
Miller 251292 Classic Series 8-12 Variable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
came reccomended from a welding buddy of mine. I will do a side by side vs teh HF mask I have. the HF mask is good, I have no real issue w/ it aside from the headband, which I said I replaced and was worth it, but at twice the price, lets see if I get twice the functionality!

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I have a fairly new Miller helmet, I don't remember which one right now but I wasn't real happy with it the first few times I used it. I finally got the sensitivity set right and now it is pretty nice to weld with. I think you will be happy with yours.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Unsolicited profession of a new love...
We just met Friday afternoon:

My new HTP "Striker" CSV helding helmet.
~9 oz shell. Almost like not wearing anything.
(have worn it for about 4 hours of seat time so far)

Large view, probably the clearest glass I have ever seen,(I have been shopping hard for 2 years), grind mode, adjustable tint and delay.
Spot to clip in magnifier lens for us optically gimpy old folk.

Minor gripes: controls are all inside on filter, external shade and grind mode switch are missed, a little.

4 sensors in corners of large viewplate.

You could probably drive in this at night.(in grind mode lest it goes dark from oncoming headlights)

Works perfectly at 10A DC TIG.(I tested extensively, there is no sensor "blind spot" I could set up)
Will be trying at 3A on the synchro ASAP.

EDIT---works perfectly on 3A DCEN TIG in direct sun (~cloudless day@2PM), on close to min sensitivity and min (#9) dark shade, reflective surfaces... (3A is just capable of welding razor blades together edge to edge)
This is the hardest test I can come up with, many big-name, even some high dollar helmets fail it here.

When not dimmed, it's barely tinted.(#3 shade) also grind mode.

I can weld or even grind by the light of a candle, or at dusk (Yes, I seriously tested this, as I have to work in the evening much of the year, outside, that or die of heat stroke) view is awesome, esp fo these old eyes.

Entire view is incredibly uniform--- no dark corners.
Battery + solar assist. Takes normal lithium "coin" cell batteries easily had/easy change, ~900 hr expected life.

Head gear is nice, comfortable and most critically stays where you adjust it.
(The ~$tupid$$$ Sellstrom I use at work is a giant POS by any comparison, I will be campaigning for its immediate donation to the shop in the other building, replaced by another one of the CSVs)

Has "clicky" detents on flip up, some complain about it but it seems to work fine for me, stiff enough to use to set at multiple angles, but there is an actual adjustable down stop as well, and you can drill another hole and flip it straight up if desired.

I have long been hunting a really good helmet locally and on ebay (Miller Digital elite, Speedglass 9100, W60 or W70 glass Jacksons etc) and decided to hit weldingweb and do some final study before flexing plastic.

Multiple old welders (who have several high end helmets of many brands) raved about the HTP CSV in many threads...

I know why now.

Probably the best welding helmet on the market under ~$600. Maybe much more.
(I have tried most of them)

Not bad for $159.
Comes only in gloss black.
Needs Pantera stickers.
Money back guarantee, one year warranty.
HTPs customer service is outstanding in my experience.
I know HTP would have taken it back for a full refund, no questions asked, if need be.(they would probably want to know what I didn't like about it so they could fix it, they already reworked some features like the delay time and sensors due to customer feedback, off the market while being reworked)
Not bloody likely at this point.
I don't care if it's probably made in China/eastern Europe. It ROCKS.

Came in a free non-scratchy ~tyvek helmet storage bag, works just fine.
(not a 10 cords you don't quite know which one to pull backpack style, just a simple big red swag bag with sliding spring cord ball clamp that closes up tight to keep the spiders out)

http://www.usaweld.com/Striker-Stealth- ... 30-csv.htm
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.