Vintage VW Toolboxes

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
sirzo

Vintage VW Toolboxes

Post by sirzo »

Hi Guys I just thought I'd share some of my collectables

Bought this Gedore VW tool kit (model 1600) at a swap meet a few years back (Sydney, Australia). A real flukey buy.

Anyone seen kits like it? Its obviously workshop speciifc. Seems to be dated about 1961 to 1963 (from the paperwork inside). Nice cartoon of a workshop with split window bugs on the inside cover.

Kit is in really good used condition for its age but missing what looks like a 13mm socket and a pair of pliers. Anyone have anything that would match? It would be nice to complete the kit.

The lid of the toolbox is stamped Original Gedore 1600. All of the tools are stamped Gedore Made in Germany. Many of them are stamped with the 1600 model number and then another number - which presumably refers to the tool code in the 1600 Model range. Some of them have a different code which I presume relates to the run of the mill tools that fit the purpose for the kit.

If anyone wants more pictures for the purpose of making a catelogue of these kits let me know and I'll put more pictures on my photobucket website or if the administrators want to start up a stick on these types of toolkits I'll post them on STF.

doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Pretty cool! 8)

doc
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

You really need to ship that over here to me for a closer inspection. . . No need to worry yourself with finding that missing socket, I'll deal with it :lol:

Seriously, VERY cool tool kit!! Keep it close. . .
stoneloco808

Post by stoneloco808 »

Nice find.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

The without the guesswork books are cool
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Thats a horrible tool kit! How can you even live with yourself carrying that abomination around in your VW. If you will simply put it in a bag....and just get it to me....I can take away your pain and humiliation.... :lol: 8) ....sweet tool kit! Ray
sirzo

Post by sirzo »

Just wondering if toolkits like this are known in the US?

Other brands maybe (Apart from the Hazet ones for the car)?

Its obviously something that was targeted at Mechanics/garages wanting to branch out into VWs or VW apprentices getting into the trade.

MNAirHead or others, if youre interested I'll scan the without guesswork book for you. PM me if you like.

I get chuffed looking at the labour charges from the early 60s (pre Aussie dollars - when we still had pounds). Good thing is the expected work times are also there (something that shouldnt change with inflation) - if only I was that fast/efficient!
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

I'd be interested in a a scan. If you want to, you can send them to me and I can host them and put them in a zip file if they are not sent to me in one.
sirzo

Post by sirzo »

No problem CDS.
May take a while as there is currently a problem with my computer software.
As soon as my trusty computer engineer does his thing I will either put them on a site for you to access or get them to you some other way. Should take a week or two as I am busy workwise this coming week.
peter1

Re: Vintage VW Toolboxes

Post by peter1 »

Have you still got this tool set?
sirzo

Re: Vintage VW Toolboxes

Post by sirzo »

Yes I do. I saw the same unit on eBay ( a Hungarian seller) with half the tools missing but one or both the tools my kit was missing. But he never answered me so I had to let it go.