Compressor Piping

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Clatter

Compressor Piping

Post by Clatter »

So I have all of the sheet-rock out of the garage for wiring/plumbing...
And I am going to put in some 1/2 black pipe for air.

Wasn't there a diagram showing the sweet way to set it up,
So the water drains are right and all?
Dale M.

Re: Compressor Piping

Post by Dale M. »

Some of the sites that manufacturer sprayguns and air compressors have generic schematics on how to install piping, like water traps, angling pipes so any condensation drains out and ect...

GOOGLE search will probably turn up a few.... I searched some od this along time ago but do not have links anymore...

Here is just one that this search string " compressed air system layout" on GOOGLE produced

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.ns ... ing+Layout

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

1/2" pipe will be fine if you aren't using any large-volume stuff (a lot of body shop equipment uses HUGE volumes of air - not PSI, SCFM is a whole different thing). Normally I recommend 3/4" ID for low-volume, and at least 1" ID for any high volume stuff. The larger diameter pipe and fittings will cost you a little more, but it's a lot better than finishing your system and seeing (for example) your sandblaster that works only if you run it for ten seconds then pause for five, or your linear sander that gets slower and slower as you use it.

Stray
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

When I bought pipe from Lowes the 3/4" was cheaper than 1/2" in 10' lengths :lol:

I borrowed a professional RIGID brand threader, but HF sells pipe taps/dies that you could probably make work with enough time and patience.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Bigger lines are also an extension to the tank's volume.
You can even put larger pipes up in the rafters to increase the reservoir's volume.

If you have your compressor in one corner and plan to run 2 lines away from it so you have lines down both sides of the garage, go one step further. Connect the ends together to form a loop. That way you get double the air flow capacity with less line losses.