Interesting mods and other info on 4 X 6 vert/hor bandsaws

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

Interesting mods and other info on 4 X 6 vert/hor bandsaws

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm#Table

I think Dale M. posted this on another site years ago. There is another site for making a new table but this gives some other mods for the small bandsaws. Also, look around and there is info on other stuff. I hope it helps someone.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Interesting mods and other info on 4 X 6 vert/hor bandsaws

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projec ... stand.html

Another good idea for the small horizontal/vertical band saw.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

You can not blame this one on me... I didn't do it!....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hmmm! Dale, I was pretty sure it was you, I now wonder who that masked man was. Sorry about blaming you for something you are not guilty of, even though it was a good thing.

After fighting for 15 plus years with my old Enco unit, I am back to seriously looking at combining a couple of these ideas into my own design. These units are a good, light duty option for a home garage unit but are a pain in the "sit-down" to move around.

The platen for vertical use is also not the best design and could be better made. Adding a cooling set-up is a must as well as having the saw chips drop into a collection point makes more sense than I really have.

The basic design of these units, other than the cost of making them, should have been updated long ago. There are many companies that paint their colors and put their name on them an sell them for a good garage unit but in reality, should be ashamed of themselves for not doing the necessary and easy upgrades to make their clients experience with them a happy one.

Next to the pain in the no-no when moving them around without making noise or tipping them over, the problem of the blade shooting off the drive wheels and have to put the blade back on is closely followed by spitting of saw teeth off the blade. I have used the wax block to coat the blade which works some but the trade off is that it also causes a burnt, waxy buildup on the cut pieces.

Is it time for a design contest? :twisted:

Lee
ronholm

Post by ronholm »

I have been thinking about trying to make table to use my old heavy duty home built horizontal band saw in a upright conversion to cut up a bunch of reclaimed oak.... Now that I know I am not the only nut who has thought about this :lol: maybe I will give it a try... Of course though that takes away a great excuse for a new tool.... (for a while at least)