Plasma cutter

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Leatherneck

Plasma cutter

Post by Leatherneck »

I have a Plasma cutter, I have the air set up according to the pressure they suggest and I start with a new tip, it will do fine for a bit but them it will just cut out and blow air. I can clean the nozzle and it will do ok but not good. What am I doing wrong to burn out the tips so fast?
Chris V

Re: Plasma cutter

Post by Chris V »

Hmmm...Good ground? Mine only gives me trouble when I forget :lol:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I will check the ground but don't think that is it. After I clean up on the tip some it works good but not for very long.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Are you using an air dryer setup? I understand they're beneficial to the lifespan of the nozzles...
ronholm

Post by ronholm »

I don't think that is fixable.. You had better just go on and ship it out to me so I can properly dispose of that thing for you...

:mrgreen:

Naw check the ground.... and how far are you keeping the tip off of the workpiece. Most people hold it to close, and that creates problems..

How much air pressure? Do you have enough volume? Or to much?
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I'm thinkin' that dry air is not much of a problem in June in Needles, CA. Humidity is probably hovering near zero. Chris doesn't know that not everybody has rain every day....... :twisted:

BTW, Leather gets new job, moves, and suddenly can afford a new plasma cutter? Pay must be great or Angie's wearin' the same shoes one more year.

doc
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

doc wrote:I'm thinkin' that dry air is not much of a problem in June in Needles, CA. Humidity is probably hovering near zero. Chris doesn't know that not everybody has rain every day....... :twisted:

BTW, Leather gets new job, moves, and suddenly can afford a new plasma cutter? Pay must be great or Angie's wearin' the same shoes one more year.

doc
I got a new job, moved, AND got divorced and STILL cant afford a plasma cutter. :(
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Leatherneck wrote:I have a Plasma cutter, I have the air set up according to the pressure they suggest and I start with a new tip, it will do fine for a bit but them it will just cut out and blow air. I can clean the nozzle and it will do ok but not good. What am I doing wrong to burn out the tips so fast?
What make is it? My Miller will do that when the electrode wears out.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Big Dave wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:I have a Plasma cutter, I have the air set up according to the pressure they suggest and I start with a new tip, it will do fine for a bit but them it will just cut out and blow air. I can clean the nozzle and it will do ok but not good. What am I doing wrong to burn out the tips so fast?
What make is it? My Miller will do that when the electrode wears out.

It is a off brand ( I think) Century or something like that. I will replace all the parts in the gun, go at it for 10-15 seconds and it will do it again. I talked to a welding supply shop and they said it might be water in the lines, they said that will mess them up.
few2many

Post by few2many »

An update would be nice, figure it out yet?
Are you using an extension cord? Have you tried other outlets? The amp sensing capability will shut it down when the supply voltage goes too low and/or the amps go to high for the house side.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

The Plasma cutter is a century brand. Putting a water separator is a must, letting it run (not cut) for a couple minutes before cutting has helped out as well, that helps dry out the air inside the machine. It is doing a lot better, not perfect but man it cuts nice/fast when it cuts.
canterburyfour

Post by canterburyfour »

Turn the amperage all the way up and clamp the ground to your part not to your welding if you are doing so. A water filter will help but it sounds like you are having other issues. Don't be afraid to drag the tip across the part you are cutting. The tips don't last as long but it is a heck of a lot easier.
danielo

Post by danielo »

canterburyfour wrote:Turn the amperage all the way up and clamp the ground to your part not to your welding if you are doing so. A water filter will help but it sounds like you are having other issues. Don't be afraid to drag the tip across the part you are cutting. The tips don't last as long but it is a heck of a lot easier.
That's what I've been doing lately, it is a hell of a lot easier.
Ed ke6bnl

Post by Ed ke6bnl »

Leatherneck wrote:The Plasma cutter is a century brand. Putting a water separator is a must, letting it run (not cut) for a couple minutes before cutting has helped out as well, that helps dry out the air inside the machine. It is doing a lot better, not perfect but man it cuts nice/fast when it cuts.
I have an automatic drain on the air comp. tank and I let the air bleed for 10-15 min out of the plasma cutter prior to using. I would think even in a dry climate the compressor still can have damp air. I have an air dryer but have not used it yet on mine. and I am High desert so. ca. and dry as well.
Agua Dulce, So.California
1968 2.2L Ecotec Power Baha Bug, king coils, etc.
1950 F1 street rod
1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock
1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, p etc.