Taking internal pictures

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
harryset

Taking internal pictures

Post by harryset »

Anyone have a decent solution for taking pictures inside of really tight places?
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Taking internal pictures

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

How tight is really tight? Why; would be another question which may make a difference in the answer you needed.

Different cameras, different lenses, or even different photo techniques would or could come into play. For example; it is possible that just by placing a mirror in the right location and at the right angle may be all you need to get that picture you want. Maybe you need a wide angle or a fisheye lens for certain things. Maybe a video camera especially one of those bicycle style helmet cameras that are shaped like a tube (I think Oregon Scientific is one of many who make something like that).

Lee
harryset

Post by harryset »

AHA! Mirror!

Was trying to figure out how to get pictures inside stuff like the heater channels. My Canon 1D obviously isn't going to get it done. I was also just looking up some of the pencil cams as well. I thought of using my old webcams, but I don't have anything that will currently run on my systems.

Good ideas, thanks.
'72 Standard

Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

you are looking for a Borescope. Some have a color LCD screen that shows you live feed, not sure about recording though.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do you have a plummer friend, they often have invested in small cameras that go down sewer lines. Might smell lake crap :shock: but another way to check things like you want to do out.

Lee
harryset

Post by harryset »

I have a borescope, it is very nice, but not for taking actual pictures on internal surfaces. I'm not sure if I could take a decent picture of it's screen.
'72 Standard

fusername

Post by fusername »

well next time you go in for a colonoscopy, just bring the bug with you, they can take some nice hi res shots for ya.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
harryset

Post by harryset »

fusername wrote:well next time you go in for a colonoscopy, just bring the bug with you, they can take some nice hi res shots for ya.
:shock:

I had to go in for an endoscope job, that's the intake, a few years ago and the Dr. said " you're going to be out for the endo, it would be a good idea to do the other endo at the same time". . . I woke up with a smile on my face. :roll:
'72 Standard

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Saw program on a "nature" channel where they were looking into "spider holes" for giant tarantulas, they took a web cam and disassembled it and took CCD cell (camera eye) and put it on a long flex stalk and wired it back to circuit board, and they circled CCD cell with a bunch of "white" LEDs for lighting.... Sort of a homemade "bore scope".... Perhaps with all the old computer hardware around (the $1 web cam for thrift shop) you can make your own if you have time and a little electronics experience....

Maybe some of the new super small web cams will actually go into area you want to look in, may only need extension cable and some "lighting" if you want to go in really deep (oh yah, and a laptop)...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
harryset

Post by harryset »

I thought of this idea with the webcams, I have three or four of them in the closet. None are compatable with current software and there's no driver update for them. Still not a bad idea though, webcams cost almost nothing.
'72 Standard

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

harryset wrote:I thought of this idea with the webcams, I have three or four of them in the closet. None are compatable with current software and there's no driver update for them. Still not a bad idea though, webcams cost almost nothing.
Yah... I tossed a few when I moved because of no software .... I'm down to one, and am trying to adapt "optics" to a microscope ....

How about some of those slim round "helmet cams".... Maybe ultra miniature "security cam" that wire to TV....

Dale
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

This item just showed up in HF ad that came in mail a few days ago...

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-i ... 66550.html

Dale
stoneloco808

Post by stoneloco808 »

I bought this off of the tool truck last year.

Snap On Tools BK6000

I bought this one a few years ago. But since I purchased the newer model, this unit got downgraded to my tool set at home.

Snap On Tools BK5500

Both are kind of pricey, since it's off of the tool truck. But comes in real handy at times. Especially when trying to assemble an engine at home with little kids running around.
harryset

Post by harryset »

That would do the job, however, it's a little spendy. I have a regular, Milwaukee, borescope.
'72 Standard