Oil annalyzer

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Leatherneck

Oil annalyzer

Post by Leatherneck »

So at work we got one of those portable engine oil analyzers. Anybody use one before? Any tips on using such as take a sample of the first oil out or use the last oil coming from the pan or should I use the filter oil?
66brm

Re: Oil annalyzer

Post by 66brm »

I do a bit of sampling on heavy machinery and have been trained to take the sample from halfway in the sump, so a bit of tube down your dipstick tube should be enough. What does your analyser pick up? CAT do our analysis and report back with oil condition, particulates( materials) etc so you can establish a trend on bearing and component wear. Very handy to watch the copper levels etc for bearing wear.
fusername

Post by fusername »

piledriver has his oil analyzed from time to time, but I think he mails out a quart for them to do htier magick to. maybe he gets special instruction from the lab that does it? I would ask him.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I will for sure be taking a sample from different points. Will hopefully get some time to sit down and read the manual, will pass on what I find out.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

This is the annalizer that I have. http://www.reliabilitydirect.com/oilana ... -TMEH1.htm

So I tested it on my diesel engine with 24k miles on it and 4.5k on the oil. I used oil out of the filter, I will try other places later. When I tested it there is a scale of green - yellow - red. Mine was in the green at about 5/8 of the way, there was a number on it 37.3 but I don't know what it means yet still trying to find out about. The directions don't really give a lot of tech info. Again when I find out more I will let you know. If anybody runs across any info I would appreciate that too.
fusername

Post by fusername »

if you want more info than you know what to deal with, I am sure Bob is the oil guy would have the answers. its a forum only for engine oil, so they would in thier hive mind most likely have used and or own that tool, and bgive you a better idea of what to do with it.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Post by 560 »

BUMP; what is the latest you found out on the oil???
Can we start to send in samples yet??? :P

Mike
Jackpot motorsports