Name That Tool

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
bradey bunch

Re: Name That Tool

Post by bradey bunch »

Haha, I noticed I forgot the question mark after I wrote it. My boss has similar sockets (which are for shocks), however his are shallow. I imagine they come in different lengths and they may have different uses as well. Maybe you can verify via part no?
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

bradey bunch wrote:Haha, I noticed I forgot the question mark after I wrote it. My boss has similar sockets (which are for shocks), however his are shallow. I imagine they come in different lengths and they may have different uses as well. Maybe you can verify via part no?
I will edit also.... the ones in the picture are 1/4" drive too.... It's misleading without that info I think. I still think somewhere in the back of my files (My brain, that is) is a file with what these are for.... Just can't seem to access it. Been on the Snap-On- Tools sites and haven't found anything either.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
bradey bunch

Post by bradey bunch »

hmmmm... the 1/4" drive makes it interesting, I had assumed 3/8". Those are small!
hugging corners

Post by hugging corners »

I have picked it up a the parts swap fast fall. Old hotroder said it belonged to his father.
It is some sorts of measuring tool made out of brass, but we could not come out with any closed theories. Any ideas guys?
ps: this is my 69the post here lol...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hugging corners on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
bradey bunch

Post by bradey bunch »

I have another guess for the small sockets, I am thinking they are for carb adjustment.

As for the other one, some sort of wheel alignment tool? How big is it? Are there any markings, and do you know how old it is?

Braden
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

hugging corners wrote:I have picked it up a the parts swap fast fall. Old hotroder said it belonged to his father.
It is some sorts of measuring tool made out of brass, but we could not come out with any closed theories. Any ideas guys?
ps: this is my 69the post here lol...
Can we get some better details of the Joints (all 3 please).... Can't quite tell how this is assembled or adjusted.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
hugging corners

hello guys
i will snap better pic, but i have to do it in a daylight. flash is not doing well to the brass reflection
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

HC, how long is it? It does look familiar and looks old by design.

Lee
hugging corners

it is about 15 inches in length
pointed tip has 3 sided wall, if I recall well
the spring on one of the clamps touches one of the walls so the pointed rod slides nicely but can be locked by the screw.
the base ball joint is 2 way directional -it looks like permanently attaches to something
center piece is 360deg dimensional ball joint with lock as well
patina is older than on Michelangelo’s bronze statue

ps:
i will take better pics asap, but:
...maybe the tool has a marine purpose.
Obviously it is some sort of measuring or alignment tool.
..something to do with a points on the map?...as it swings distance can be measured....
or maybe to point towards northern star so sailor can keep an sharp eye on the point (crazy guess)