Portable Air Tank DESTROY Date

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Dale M.

Portable Air Tank DESTROY Date

Post by Dale M. »

Portable air tank destroy date? This notification was found on leg of portable air tank....
destroy-2.jpg
Believed to be this tank....

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-gallon- ... 65595.html

Another wonderful Chinese Republic Authentic Product (CRAP) ... Probably want you to get rid of it before it rusts through... 6 year lifespan for a "tool".. Unbelievable...

Dale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Leatherneck

Re: Portable Air Tank DESTROY Date

Post by Leatherneck »

I really don't think it will make it 6 years.

We made them who they are. Time to ween them off the American tit.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

That could be a lot of fun to destroy. On 12-1-2018 fill it step back about 100 yards and shoot it with your gun. . . BOOM!! :twisted:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You know, it's probably required by law somewhere... and it's probably not a bad idea.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Piledriver wrote:You know, it's probably required by law somewhere... and it's probably not a bad idea.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's probably true.... On another forum I frequent, we were just having a conversation about welding things to pressure vessels that led to a thread from 2009 on the weldingweb.com forums..... someone showed some pretty nasty results of a tank that gave up while he was sitting next to it.... and it broke the pin on his watchband too.... along with some broken bones and stuff. All due to a rusty tank. If the tanks were lined with a tank sealer type product to keep rust from forming (manufacturer level) these tanks would be way less prone to the type of dangers from rusting out....
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

We just locally had a guy killed by an exploding beer keg at the Red Hook Brewery while doing a pressure test.
When my air tank hit the 'date', I converted it into a gas tank:)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I have a couple tanks that are at least 20 years old. Hmmm.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Steve, the older tanks could be better.
I remember when I was getting my oxygen bottle pressure tested, I was talking to the guy who did the test. I asked if there was an age limit. He said there wasn't, that as long as it passed the pressure test, it was good. He also told me he sees bottles from pre World War ONE that pass better than newer ones. He said they were much thicker steel than what you get today.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Bruce2 wrote:Steve, the older tanks could be better.
I remember when I was getting my oxygen bottle pressure tested, I was talking to the guy who did the test. I asked if there was an age limit. He said there wasn't, that as long as it passed the pressure test, it was good. He also told me he sees bottles from pre World War ONE that pass better than newer ones. He said they were much thicker steel than what you get today.
And they were welded with "old world" welding technology too.... Awesome stuff back then. The skills were much more honed, I think, than the technology now allows us to do.... Certainly a testament to the skills of the old school welders.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Typical gas bottles are fed with essentially water free gas mixtures, certainly no liquid content.
(not to mention the bottles being in inch or more thick to take high pressure)

Air tanks are sheet metal and get significant water in them as a function of being fed with compressed air, and are ~guaranteed to develop rust inside... and have liquid water in them, this is why they come with drain petcocks.

I'm not even sure sealing them inside would be a 100% sure thing, and even SS tends to rust at the welds unless measures are taken to re-heat treat the weld HAZ.

It's probably safer and far more cost efficient to simply buy a new air tank every few years.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

Yeah I don't think for $35 that HF tank is a bad deal...Provided you don't use it for forever..Its probably only like 16 Gauge steel anyways so it wouldn't take much rust to make it unsafe.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Hahaha. The compressor i have sits on a tank with a date from the 1950's... I try not to stand next to it though and i drain it a couple times a year as well... LOL
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

We have a big ass 250 gallon propane tank that is freshly certified and it is from 1955 says the name plate.