jet drills

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
fusername

jet drills

Post by fusername »

what do you guys use to open/clsoe your jets? wire drills? reamers? broaches? I am considering laying out some cash for some and getting some real work done on these dells so I can fix my tune once and for all, but I ony have so many jets and these might be a good investment as dell parts get scarcer and scarcer
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Devastator

Re: jet drills

Post by Devastator »

Back when I ran a carbs, I used drills, or cutting torch tip reamers, (cleaners). If they go too big, I'd solder them up and drill them again.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Most serious hobby stores will sell pin vices and the small numbered drills. http://www.ehobbytools.com/contents/en-us/d8.html An example of one location. I have never used this place so I don't know if they are good or bad.

Lee
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

I like drills but whether you drill or ream you need jet guages. http://www.mooreparts.com/store/categor ... Gauge-Kit/ as far as I have seen everybody has the same ones (German) so shop on price.
Dormer drills make a metric 'number' drill set in a case that is very good quality.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Here is source of reamers and gauges.... But remember once you drill them there is no going back... Once they are to big, they are to big.... Might want to just invest into a set of different size jets....

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/327.htm

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Dale M. wrote:Once they are to big, they are to big
You can solder them closed again and re-drill if needed.

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Devastator wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Once they are to big, they are to big
You can solder them closed again and re-drill if needed.
Yep.... But what a pain ......

Dale
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Dale M. wrote:Yep.... But what a pain ......
Well....yeah...but...

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Although it gets expensive to buy a set of jets; drilling, soldering, drilling and soldering gets a little much after-a-while. It’s nice to lift the lid on a box, find the right compartment, pluck out a jet and go for it; carb(s) tuning is not often a one jet only change; ya got cause and effect to work with. :roll:

Lee
My advice is worth slightly less than you paid for it.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Although it gets expensive to buy a set of jets; drilling, soldering, drilling and soldering gets a little much after-a-while. It’s nice to lift the lid on a box, find the right compartment, pluck out a jet and go for it; carb(s) tuning is not often a one jet only change; ya got cause and effect to work with. :roll:
This is one of the many reasons I went EFI. :mrgreen:

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Devastator wrote:
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Although it gets expensive to buy a set of jets; drilling, soldering, drilling and soldering gets a little much after-a-while. It’s nice to lift the lid on a box, find the right compartment, pluck out a jet and go for it; carb(s) tuning is not often a one jet only change; ya got cause and effect to work with. :roll:
This is one of the many reasons I went EFI. :mrgreen:
BINGO!...... We have a winner!

Dale
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

If you go down the 'buy my jets' route, still get the gauges, there are 'no name' jets that look like weber but don't measure correctly. China?
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

If you want to accurately resize and measure jets, get the reamer kit and the 2 gauge kits from that site Dale M posted. I don't like drilling jets. When you use a ream instead of a drill, you end up with a smoother hole, and you can make very very small increases in jet sizes. Like others have stated, you simply cannot trust the stamped number on ~any jet. Use a gauge to measure, or better yet, use the tapered reamers to find the EXACT size of the jet hole. Mark the reamer where the jet stops and measure that with a micrometer. I've tried soldering jets back closed and re-drilling for a smaller hole, but it's tricky and time consuming. The solder reams/drills MUCH easier than the brass jet itself, so it's easy to go too far and have to re-solder and re-drill again. What I ended up doing is buying smaller jets than I knew I needed and ream them out little by little until you get what you want. Even new jets (and I've baught dozens of them) don't come "matched". If you're doing a pair of dual carbs, you'll need 4 matching ones of each variety. I had to ream every jet I baught new just so I'd have a matching set to start with....it gets time consuming, but you can dail in a set of carbs pretty well with a good set of reamers, gauges, an O2 sensor and lots of time.

Karl

DON'T QUIT
fusername

Post by fusername »

I was hoping someone would talk about reamers, they sound like the better solution for many reasons, including finish and ease of use. Since I have an accurate mic and know how to use it properly, is there any real need for the guage set? I don't quite understand why you would need it aside from convenience.

as far as convenience in jets goes, I have a box full FULL of solex jets, every size imaginable, including factory made sizes that folks claim don't exist. of course I am completly out of 130s at this point, but god i wish it was a box full of Dell jets. I think I shall price out some reamers now, micro drill bits were cheaper than expeceted, fingers crossed on reamers.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Try mscdirect.com. They have decimal size reamers.
To answer your question, no, you don't really need gauge pins if you can read a mic...and know what size the jet hole is to start with, although this can be gauged with the shank of a drill sometimes.
FWIW, reamers have the size written on many of them and come in a tube with the size written on it somewhere. Buy "chucking reamers", (there are several different types).

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti