Rattle Can Trick

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Dale M.

Rattle Can Trick

Post by Dale M. »

Found a neat trick for cleaning spray nozzle of rattle can, paint cans... Seems some paint cans use same valve type as carb cleaner.... By pulling spray head off a paint can and placing it on carb cleaner and quick blast it cleans paint out of head.... Works with Rustoleum cans and carb cleaner (house brand) from O'Rilleys anyway.... Not all cans and valve are the same your ability to do this relies on type of cans/nozzles...

Another thing is when can is empty... I save nozzle for just in case it may fit another can with clogged nozzle....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
doc
Site Admin

Re: Rattle Can Trick

Post by doc »

Clever tip! How many times have I spent way too much time trying to make a rattle can spray?

doc
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Generally speaking, When you use a Can of Rattle paint, you should flip it upside down after getting everything done, and Clear the Spray tip by shooting until no color comes out... Been doing that for years, never have a Tip get clogged (If I'm the last one that used it) It's easier than keeping up with a bunch of miscellaneous tips, for sure. Teach everyone that is likely to be using the paint and it's good to go til you run out.

DISCLAIMER: This "TIP" does not, however, apply to that Spray paint that sprays upside-down... or in all positions.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
utahclaimjumper

Post by utahclaimjumper »

That's not really a "tip", its posted on the back of most cans of spray paint.>>>Dan
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

utahclaimjumper wrote:That's not really a "tip", its posted on the back of most cans of spray paint.>>>Dan
Yeah... But Who reads the Label of Spray Paint? For real....
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

SCOTTRODS wrote:
utahclaimjumper wrote:That's not really a "tip", its posted on the back of most cans of spray paint.>>>Dan
Yeah... But Who reads the Label of Spray Paint? For real....
Wait, what??
there are words on those cans?
utahclaimjumper

Post by utahclaimjumper »

So simple,, even an adult can do it!.>>>Dan
NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

problem is also not premixing can correctly, a good jerkof for 2-3 min minimum, or you can do leftright fan motion not to look like predator; which causes larger particle to clog the downtube. x2 on upsidedown until pigment out
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

Spraying up side down does not always work for me. Maybe I just get squeamish about spraying solvents into the atmosphere, but, sometimes, I have sprayed longer than I think is necessary and paint is still coming out (doubtful that it is an any position can because it will quit spraying during use. Murphy's Law). Many times, there is paint around the nozzle that runs over the hole after the up side down cleaning spray. Occasionally, they do clog on me despite the cleaning spray. Using a spray solvent can is a great idea.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I spray and wipe. I do the upside down spray, usually against a paper towel or against what I am painting/priming then wipe the nozzle off with a clean part of the paper towel. If it doesn't look right off comes the nozzle and I shoot air through it to keep the passage clean.

Sometimes I actually pull the nozzle off and soak it for a short time in lacquer thinner, blow it out with compressed air then install the nozzle on the can again. The reason for pulling the nozzle is usually when the paint is thick or I don't clean it well as I am letting the can sit for longer than a couple of minutes during painting/priming sessions.

This is a common sense thing.