A welding table finally

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

A welding table finally

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think I may have made my wife somewhat happy as I bought a fairly inexpensive welding table from HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable ... 61369.html) that does store fairly well. I have been using my small fold up tables, the ones that wood workers use and the tops are pretty crisp. The wife is afraid I am going to set the garage on fire.

The other day maybe two months ago I saw the table advertised in a mailing from HF; The price wasn’t too bad compared to the metal cost for me to make my own (I have priced it out a couple of times) and this one was fairly storable. The table has a zinc coated top and is supposed to hold up to 350#s but I am not going to try the limit by sitting on it either.

The table is roughly 20” X 30”, weighs 39#s and the top, when flat is almost 33’ off the floor. the table top tilts and as some side pieces that can go up or down and can be moved from one edge to another. The top also can be tipped to 90° from the floor for storage.

This shows the two side pieces up. They can be moved from one side to another very quickly.

The table tipped.

The table in a 90° position relative to the floor.

(rant) the illustrations for assembly are not all that bad but could be better but part identification in the illustrations and the Bill of materials sucks big time… to the point if irritation to the max!!! The ISO on find numbers is very clear on this: instead of using a circle with a number in it they use a descriptor than the find number in brackets which means reverence. They got it turned around.

Also, and this is the most irritation part: if they called out a nut with a quantity they don’t differentiate between the locking version of the nut and the non-locking version of the nut with different find numbers (and true quantity of each) so show which is used where Grrrr). You can figure it out I guess but it sure costs you time when doing it. When doing kits we always gave 10 or one extra of each for just in case. They have fasteners and washers that are left over at the end which are not even identified in the BOM.

One old timey thing then did is when the dimpled the top for flush fit screws (CSK) they used some larger dia washers to make of for the dimple so you could have a flush fit on the tilt bracket; the washers were not (clearly) identified separately on the pix or in the BOM other than the washer went between the tilt bracket and the top. Also, the locking washers for the tilt was not even identified clearly in my opinion; I think they assumed you would know what and how to install them/intuitively I guess and today was not my intuitive day. I didn’t tighten any of the locking fasteners up until everything was together which did save me some heartache. I would never have signed off on this if it had come by my desk!

Anyway, for what it is worth I got a welding table of some sort.

Lee
Bonemaro

Re: A welding table finally

Post by Bonemaro »

I have that exact table from HF. Got it shipped for $48 with a coupon. Can't complain.

It's been pretty durable and stows away in a corner. I feel like the plastic tilt lock handles are asking to break, but if they do, I can use the table to make durable metal ones. :mrgreen:

I can tell you it held 250+ pounds with no problem.

And I agree with your rant. The assembly instructions (and I say that loosely) was, if anything, a joke.
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:weighs 39#s
What? The one I saw in the store was made out of the thinnest metal possible and I thought it must have weighed 10 pounds! Maybe I underestimated it or they have changed models. That sucks that the top is galvanized.
I thought about getting one. I figured that I could bolt on a thicker top and have a nice portable table, but I disliked the locking mechanism (and I don't need to spend more money!). The employees do not always assemble the floor models well (understatement) which could be why the lock seems inadequate.
It seemed good enough the occasional welder or for those low on space. I built a welding table in my garage and I got an old cast iron table saw for my friend's place, but, when in the store, this portable table still tempts me for those jobs that can't be in the garage. Thanks for the review. You might have tipped the scale :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I didn't weigh it myself so maybe that was an inbox weight. I just went out to the garage and lifted it and it is not that lite; 39#s, I'm not sure of but it is not as light as those fold up, wood topped work tables that I had been using. I have no safe way of weighing it for you without losing my hearing, sanity and ending up in divorce court.

If you want something handy for occasional use then it might fit the bill. I have used it once now and while not the best thing in the world it worked and I survived.

If you are a frequent welder then I don't think it is for you unless want to use it as a portable device out in the field where I think it would be fantastic unless the work was too heavy. My personal design would not be as portable nor as big which is why I kind of like this.

Work tables can range as big and complicated as CWBs or as simple as replacing the wooden tops of the fold up work tables with say 3/16th flat stock and drilling some holes for over center vice-clamps et al to be used.

I'm not sure about the surface myself but so far nothing has stuck to it. I think your supposed to wear a mask when you are welding anyway so what the diff. :wink:

Lee
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

I've used mine quite a few times and it seems to do pretty well.
Jim
My 1973 Karmann Ghia---> http://www.73ghia.com
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Would be surprised if top is galvanized, its probably yellow cadmium (or some sort of anodize) ... But still... You are not supposed to be welding to table.... I just wonder how "C" clamps work through slots with the downward lips in the slots... Do you need block of wood under table top so clamps set properly...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:...Work tables can range as big and complicated as CWBs or as simple as replacing the wooden tops of the fold up work tables with say 3/16th flat stock and drilling some holes for over center vice-clamps et al to be used....
Lately I've been making do with a sheetmetal shelf clamped to the barstool I sit at when cleaning parts using a couple of QuickGrips :lol: ...I've been thinking of building a better setup, perhaps something hinged off the wall to save floorspace, but that HF table looks like it might do the trick - if it goes on sale I may just pick one up, but I don't need it $80 worth.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"The steel surface of this adjustable welding table gives you a steady, flameproof surface for welding parts and components. Designed for conductivity, connect your welding clamp directly to the welding table safely out of the when you work on smaller pieces. Adjustable angle and fence give you a variety of welding options.

•Heavy duty steel surface is zinc plated to resist rust
•Adjustable table angle with five positive stops
•Retractable edge guides for use as a fence or for clamping
•Four table slots for clamping and heat reduction
•Reinforced trestle-style legs for maximum stability
•Join additional tables for a larger work surface"

This is taken from the HF web page for the table.

I stand corrected as originally I did say zinc then in a later post I mistakenly used the word galvanized.

I went out and took a couple of quick pictures: I used a 3" clamp to hold a piece of 1 X 2 rectangular tube onto top of the stand.

An on edge view of the clamp, table and tube.

I turned the table top to a stowed position then took a picture of the underside.

The flanges under the table not only support the slots but stiffen up the surface of the table. I've done many flanged slots in my carrier; other than not flanging the end corners (this would eliminate the stretching of the metal in the corners during forming which does weaken things up a bit but then this is steel not AL), what is done here is fairly normal based on what I am accustomed to doing myself.

Lee

Edited as the first picture would not post and caused a problem with my computer. :oops:
ProctorSilex

Post by ProctorSilex »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I stand corrected as originally I did say zinc then in a later post I mistakenly used the word galvanized.
Same thing.
Thanks for the pics. Looks better than it did in store. You should apply to be HF's marketer :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Naw, I got enough problems w/o doing that.

Actually when looking around for tools I notice that it is pretty common for many name brands to carry off-shore stuff; repaint... or not, just re-name. Whether you like HF or not, at least they are pretty much up-front about what they sell; e.g., off-shore stuff. Some of their stuff even surpasses the box stores and other larger companies in quality which you wouldn't necessarily expect. I have also noticed that they seem to read what is said about their tools on their web page and in other sources on-line (a lot of videos on upgrades to some of their tools) and seem to pay attention. Right now the guy I talk to at my local HF outlet store said that a lot of their tools are being changed which is true at least for both the blast cabinet and the drill press I bought.

I still think this would be a good off-site carry around welding table. :lol: :wink:

Lee
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Marc wrote:
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:...Work tables can range as big and complicated as CWBs or as simple as replacing the wooden tops of the fold up work tables with say 3/16th flat stock and drilling some holes for over center vice-clamps et al to be used....
Lately I've been making do with a sheetmetal shelf clamped to the barstool I sit at when cleaning parts using a couple of QuickGrips :lol: ...I've been thinking of building a better setup, perhaps something hinged off the wall to save floorspace, but that HF table looks like it might do the trick - if it goes on sale I may just pick one up, but I don't need it $80 worth.
Been using wooden bar stool too..... Also piece of plywood (2ft x 4ft) across saw horses....

Dale
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:"The steel surface of this adjustable welding table gives you a steady, flameproof surface for welding parts and components. Designed for conductivity, connect your welding clamp directly to the welding table safely out of the when you work on smaller pieces. Adjustable angle and fence give you a variety of welding options.

•Heavy duty steel surface is zinc plated to resist rust
•Adjustable table angle with five positive stops
•Retractable edge guides for use as a fence or for clamping
•Four table slots for clamping and heat reduction
•Reinforced trestle-style legs for maximum stability
•Join additional tables for a larger work surface"

This is taken from the HF web page for the table.

I stand corrected as originally I did say zinc then in a later post I mistakenly used the word galvanized.

I went out and took a couple of quick pictures: I used a 3" clamp to hold a piece of 1 X 2 rectangular tube onto top of the stand.

An on edge view of the clamp, table and tube.

I turned the table top to a stowed position then took a picture of the underside.

The flanges under the table not only support the slots but stiffen up the surface of the table. I've done many flanged slots in my carrier; other than not flanging the end corners (this would eliminate the stretching of the metal in the corners during forming which does weaken things up a bit but then this is steel not AL), what is done here is fairly normal based on what I am accustomed to doing myself.

Lee

Edited as the first picture would not post and caused a problem with my computer. :oops:
Not convinced would rather use clamps from top... Faster and easier to manipulate....

Dale
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"Not convinced would rather use clamps from top... Faster and easier to manipulate....

Dale"

True but w/o the flanges the table would also be much weaker and want to sag with weight put on it. I agree that they could be shorter but I think the longer stiffening flanges is how they get their weight holding rating.

I also think that the mounting of the clamps from the top puts the screw handles in the way at times but C-clamps are designed the way they are designed too. I did a search and I couldn't find any that had the contact anvil with a deep enough upper throat to work like you would want.

I also prefer to put the ground on the clamp rather than the table itself. That way the cable is not in the way or having a chance for the covering to be burned through and I know the contact coverage I am going to get.

All this is kind of a "catch 22" isn't it. :lol:

Not trying to force this on anyone just trying to give information for things that seems to be in question.

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:oops: (DUH!) I was looking under the wrong name... silly me.

Thanks SCOTTRODS. You could really put your eye out with them couldn't you. :wink: