metal band saw

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: metal band saw

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

SCOTTRODS wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 am Lean it against the wall the other way for a few months... Maybe that'll help... :mrgreen:
Already tried that! Like most other inanimate objects it refused to do my bidding :roll: . With my luck, doing that will get rid of the small curve and give me an "S" curve which would be worse :roll: :lol: .
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

On one of the work stands I made I had a similar problem with a slight arc in the length part of the flat stock I welded angle iron around the edges thinking that over time things would straighten out. I just went out and put a straight edge in it and the arc is still there and maybe a bit worse. Other than welding the plate to the stand post I did not try to apply heat which was in the plan. This is why the question.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Every-so-often I look on the tool section of Craig's List and see one of the many identical brands of inexpensive bandsaws like I have... many not often used for several reasons. When reality TV stated doing the build shows they started with motorcycle builds and one of them the guy was using one of the cheap ones like mine. After I don't know how many blade pop-offs he pitched a fit and broke it apart all documented. The show bought him a good one to continue on with.

I think I said that one of the reasons I built the new stand was to get rid of the wimpy stand that comes with the saw. The two main problems with the saw is the stand and the other is not having the blade tightened up enough. Don't use tools as you might break the saw blade but put some oomph to it when in place on the wheels and guides.
IMG_1270 copy.jpg
This is the saw, in action, using the horizontal application. Notice on the bottom guide there is a (on the right side where the blade goes into the guide wheels) there is a squarish piece held on by two CSK screws.

Another thing I have noticed is the newer models don't seem to come with the vertical paten anymore.
IMG_1272 copy.jpg
My saw is old enough that it did come with the platen and this shows it partially installed. It shows one the dimple holes filled and one empty with the fastener by it. It also shows the guide plate that is removed to put the platen in place.
IMG_1273 copy.jpg
This shows the platen installed minus the support bracket that I lost a long time ago. You can just see the dimpled hole up by the top by the guide gallery. Mine did not come with the adjustable angle piece that is supposed to be used here.

I am thinking about making a new platen for two reasons. One is the hole for the blade is too big so that when you are cutting something it ends up hanging up in the hole. The other thing is the access for the blade is from the front and I am debating from the rear but that also ends up being a quandry in itself. The platen's size is somewhat limited, on the left, by the arm of the bandsaw.

I would also make the panten out of a thicker material but that brings up: dimple or CSK. Right now, with the lighter material, they are designed as dimple but I haven't really looked that hard at that problem yet either. If I dimpled it I think it would have to be a smaller size dimple (thicker material) to match the guide holes then redrill it to fasteners size then CSK it to fastener CSK head size; a lot of work for...?

Much cheaper that two different types of band saws if the problems can be overcome.

Lee.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Never mind...
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hi Dale. Mine is a early '90s Enco version of the saw I bought when ENCO had a store in this area; it has held up quite well considering its light weight. My saw is version not made any more as the newer version have a slightly deeper throat; talking to ENCO, my version is so old that I can't get replacement parts for it. They all have the same weaknesses with the legs being the worst of them which is why I made the new stand based off the URL I posted but did not go to the extent of installing the cooling and lube. I probably should do that as right now I use a block of wax especially made for bandsaws.

If you look at the vast majority of the versions of this saw being sold, they are the same except for color (and sometimes the same color as mine) and the same crappy tin legs. The Jet version (more expensive than others) as well as HF, Enco and quite a few other companies sell what looks to be the same thing just rebadged but the legs look the same, without the beading, as the others. Not sure if that is saying they are made from a thicker material or not.

The unit you posted looks to be very similar but the motor and switches are updated plus there are some features I am not sure of, but it does have the vertical mounting plate that the rest don't seem to have now, which, in my opinion, is a good thing to have.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-x-6-M ... Head/G9742

Currently Grizzly is having a sale on bandsaws and this is an interesting (but more expensive) version that I haven't seem before. It does look to be more updated with a built in protractor, hydraulics and a few other things. It is the same throat size than most of the combination bandsaws now days have. I like the idea of the saw sitting higher off the floor but, unlike the other versions, you can't straddle and sit on the stand (to get closer to your work) and cut when using the vertical platen. It approaches the angles cuts in the horizontal version in a very different but what looks to be a much better method than the other vertical/horizontal bandsaws out there. Worth a look in my opinion if you can't afford the prices of both a conventual metal cutting bandsaw and a horizontal bandsaw.

I watch Grizzly as they have a store close to where Clonebug lives and it is at drivable distance so I could ("could" is not a typing mistake of "should" mind you) putt up there to get what I want. They do have something else I want to buy but am having a hard time justifying it.

Thanks for the post Dale.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

In reference to my last post I was wasting some time and got into tools on Craig's list and found this: https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/tls/ ... 55739.html It looks pretty darn close to the Grizzly unit I posted yesterday.

Lee