Which Taps and dies to buy for a T1 Restoration?

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Evil_Fiz

Which Taps and dies to buy for a T1 Restoration?

Post by Evil_Fiz »

I am restoring a 70 Ghia convertible and would like to clean out all the threads on the car as part of the restoration. What are all the tap and die sizes needed to properly service all the different threads found on the body, engine, and suspension?
I searched the forums but did not find this information.
Marc

Re: Which Taps and dies to buy for a T1 Restoration?

Post by Marc »

m6x1.0, m8x1.25, and m10x1.5 taps would be used a lot; dies in those sizes, not so much but still good to have around if you need to salvage a bolt. I'd get two of the m8x1.25 taps.

Shock bolts/nuts are m12x1.5, lug bolt threads are m14x1.5; the two large bolts that secure the rear trans mount cradle are m18x1.5. Odds are you won't need those sizes enough to justify their expense.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

M8 X 1.0 if you go into the valve train, M7 if the brake backing plates need work, I would image the mirrors are also metric, not sure about the top bits. NPT is the most often used on engine mods but no reason other than cost.

Buy the normal Metric kit (any brand preference to ones not trying meet a price point), followed by spare quality M6, M8 cuz you will need them the most. Lucky for you I think the only SAE thread will be the seat belt anchors (never own a car that new).

If you get into the suspension there are left hand thread on the front spindles and tie rods, and the axle nuts with the 36mm ATF heads are expensive. I would wait to see if you really needed them first. Same with the engine flywheel and pulley.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Marc

Post by Marc »

m7x1.0 is used for the little bolts which attach the disc-brake backing plates to the front spindles, and the hardware that holds the transmission shift housing ("nose-cone") on...otherwise, you won't encounter it; can also be used if there's a need to go oversize on an m6x1.0 location.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Helicoil kits for the smaller ones are a good idea as well, as opposed to up-sizing of bad threads. They're stronger than the original metal, and not too expensive to buy sets with lots of inserts in them. You can also buy packages of the inserts at a very reasonable price.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Time sert everything bad and get roll form taps for everything else.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Opinion: I don't recommend tap and dies for cleaning outr threads. They are for cutting new ones and they can sloppify good threads by removing metal. Unles you are restoring to the point that the VW logo is required damaging the quality of the threads shouldn't be they big of a concern.

Get the tools made for cleaning threads; they kind of look like nuts and bolts with vertical grooves in them to allow foreign material removed o drop away.

Lee
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Like the set in this pic...

I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297