Build table

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Leatherneck

Build table

Post by Leatherneck »

Saw this, thought it was a good idea, any changes or a different way you guys see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35VPGz2 ... e=youtu.be
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Build table

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leatherneck wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:30 pm Saw this, thought it was a good idea, any changes or a different way you guys see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35VPGz2 ... e=youtu.be
Interesting but what drives the overall dimension of the table? Is there to be overhang at one or both ends or is the table oversize to what is being built?

These and a lot of other questions on my part but the table they built is not a single use or throw-a-way table.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I would build the table to the size I needed plus 8". I would guess shops would build worse case scenario . Yes it will be around for awhile.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I did look into build tables a bit but since I had what I thought was a good pan (little did I know but since I didn't weld at that time I did have friends who could weld if I chose to travel in that direction) so I went with the rotisserie idea for my black buggy.

The question now is: are you constipating on building up a wider Baja and bending up your own frame and cage?

Leather... are you going racing and at your young age???? :twisted:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://ludemannengineering.com/2011/09 ... -finished/

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood-ch ... sis-table/

That has to be an expensive tool to build; I thought it might have been a kit until I looked it up and read some of the text. With the cost of metal (by the pound) and getting good quality straight "H" beam material that is straight; the perfect cutting of the ends to be straight, even and square on all the pieces is probably easier now days with the Plasma, water jet, etc. tables out there but there has to be a cost included. Then add the cost of the legs, wheels and especially the adjustable end legs (which have to be pretty pricey in themselves) is going to add up for sure.

The ones I have seen (in pix and film/video [I'm not including the ones we had at work which were gigantic and the price matched) had theodolites (https://www.bing.com/search?q=theodolit ... NC&PC=DCTE) and/or other necessary parts to measure flatness (I suspect lasers might be included now days but I am not sure how good they are on square-ness measuring) and insure square-ness especially after moving them around (garage floors I have seen had A, B, C, D cross-hair markings on the floors to reposition the table when it is moved away then back in a work position) I decided it wasn't an investment I needed for one or two jobs. I am sure Iguana might have invested in at least one of them but they have to be a big cost investment unless you are building a lot of frames.

For what it is worth;
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:27 pm I did look into build tables a bit but since I had what I thought was a good pan (little did I know but since I didn't weld at that time I did have friends who could weld if I chose to travel in that direction) so I went with the rotisserie idea for my black buggy.

The question now is: are you constipating on building up a wider Baja and bending up your own frame and cage?

Leather... are you going racing and at your young age???? :twisted:
Not saying (yet) and me racing, I do enjoy playing though. I have found everything that I enjoy doing that I go and make a living at I no longer enjoy.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:roll: (Snicker, snicker... Tee Hee!)
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Two things I spotted and it would concern me.... One they did no measure table table corner to corner diagonally to insure table was square but instead depended in using simple square.... Two, cross member were not cut to fit into web area of main beams so strength is just on upper and lower rails (this to me was sort of a short cut)....

Better table would have bee rectangular steel tubing .... I know you will argue lips on "I" beam gives something to clamp to... Well you tack weld any temporary bracketery to frame jig to hold chassis parts in place and cut them loose later and grind of tack weld...

A really neat idea for table for building VW bases chassis is the side rails were exactly width of a type 1 torsion tube and there was steel plates welded to table the torsion bar tube was bolted into and formed perfect orientation of "chassis" to table all based off torsion bar housing...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"