Playing with unobtanium

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Jadewombat

Playing with unobtanium

Post by Jadewombat »

Edited.
Last edited by Jadewombat on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Playing with unobtanium

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I have never heard of Adamtanium (a fictional material courtesy of Marvel comics) before but this is funny (language!).
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Its a bad ad for a movie, :lol:

Adamantium is what Wolverines (the mutant and favorite X-Men character) skeleton and claws are made of.
In the Marvel "universe" Vibranium is the ~equivalent, its what Captain Americas shield is made from.

The final movie with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is coming out soon.(He's retiring from playing character)
Should be pretty good, largely like a western, sort of.
Its based loosely on the Old Man Logan story in the comic.
Last edited by Piledriver on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Oh poop, I'll delete it then. :oops:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Jadewombat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:18 pm Oh poop, I'll delete it then. :oops:
Naaaa, its sort of fun.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Jadewombat wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 amEdited.
Could you post it again please. I wanted to keeps a favorite for an occasional laugh plus share it with some who would also appreciate it. Every so often something this sill comes up and is well done at that same time.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

My computer got hacked and held for ransom by this and I cannot use it unless I pay or have my computer reloaded. BE CAREFUL!.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

hacked by a youtube video?
Still using explorer on XP?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I'm on my tablet now as my laptop was attacked and a virus was implanted. A verbal message, even before log-in, wants me to call a phone number which, I am assuming, would want/allow to pay a ransom for my computer back as that is, as you know, going around.

I was doing a search using Being and found several sources for the video. I chose one and appeareonly it was the wrong one. I have to go to another town several miles away to see if they can fix it or reload the computer's whole program. I'll know tomorrow.

Lee
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Oh crap...sorry to hear that Ol'. I use Bitdefender, not perfect but a good block to catch most of that stuff.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A huge USB backup drive is ~$40 these days, offline backups are cheap.

Imaging/restoring an OS install is quick and easy too, its a good thing to learn.
Windows 7 & 10 have the features built in, and it works.

I don't do Bing and only use Windows under duress.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Off to Chandlerin a few minutes to get my laptop cleaned up. Going back into the late 70's and my start with computers (CAD mostly) I have always had problems with them. I could walk quickly by one and it would crash. I could wave my hand over the keyboard w/o touching it and the CRT would put on a light show. Even now I have almost continuous problems with computers. I used to have to wear a ground strap when working on them which is thought to be because of my "magnatc Personality" :roll: :P :wink: .

It had nothing to do with Bing just some lousy no-speak-about hanging a virus on a legit string. This happen to me several years ago at a government site where the site was either not a true site but a site where the nastyness was under the URL or there was a "hanger" attached to the site.

I don't Google anymore as that is what I was using the last time this happened plus I feell I get better responses using Bing (it is now changed a bit and looks and acts more like Googe at times).

I am running a lesser anti-virus than at home as my laptop is not a high end one and the anti-virus I use at home uses way too many gigs to protect me (I am ussing an "air card" hence limited gig usage).

I still like the 2nd URL that was posted to see the video as it worked better and still like the video itself. Got a big kick out of it.
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Gave up PC and went Mac Last year... The only thing I run is Malwarebytes for Mac... I don't know if I need it, but I read a lot and feel like it's a good measure to take, since Mac is now being targeted by more hackers than previously... Nothing is safe nowadays. But staying ahead of the curve is possible with some mild attention. Malwarebytes doesn't cost anything and is pretty much stealthy and unobtrusive...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Also consider a Chromebook...
I just wish they had a better browser :twisted:

I gave up on std PCs and retired my Amiga (running Linux) for Linux on a PC in 1997.

The biggest safety issue is clicking on random things and visiting places you shouldn't.

With Windows (any version) the internet is like crawling through a sewer with open wounds...
You are going to catch something, probably multiple somethings.